We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
1 post
Save Topic
Money

Leaving Canada for Bucerias in Jan and was wondering what to take for money,Canadian travlers cheques,cash,bank card(ATM).Will the bank cash Canadian travler cheques or exchange Canadian cash.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Your bank card works the same as back home. Also you get the best exchange rate. You will probly be paying service fees so keeps the number of transactions low. 1 Canaidian dollar is worth about 13 peso, for easy conversion I use 10 pesos is $1 dollar.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

See the comments in the following thread. I think travelers cheques would be a waste of time.

tripadvisor.ca/…43793298

Port Alberni B.C
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

I always take a few peso to get me started ( tipping ,safety deposit box etc,but I use my bank card and get cash when I need it.I have Scotia and there is a bank machine at the Mega store no charges. I paid about $5 per transaction when I used my RBC account Try to use bank machines at the banks and not the free standing ones.I used my credit card for a few excursions and a meal in Puerto Vallarta and was pleasantly surprised when we got home, the conversion rate was great

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Jim where are you staying?

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
359 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

We always use our atm card and get a few pesos at the airport for our taxi and dinner for the night. The next day we use the atm at the bank outside of the Mega. We have never had a problem using atm's in the area but we always make sure we use our hands to cover up anything so that no one can see our pin or if there are cameras mounted that they wouldn't be able to see either.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
954 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

we do a condo ...not far from the RDC...towards centro Bucerias..

Javier Mina....1 block off Lazaro

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

I ordered pesos at my bank (CIBC), If I need more while I'm there I will use a bank ATM.

duncan, bc
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

Same here . We get our pesos at our bank at home, usually in the summer when the rates are best.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
804 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

We get our pesos at our bank at home too, and give them to each other for Christmas. The rest of the family is catching on and purchasing pesos at their bank to give us as Christmas presents too. The perfect gift for us. And when we run out, we go to a bank ATM.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money

It's great to see that us tourists are finally figuring it out!! Another thing we are better at is not using Canadian Loonies or Toonies as tips!! Ya don't have to tell us twice!!

P.S Why would the rates be better in the summer? Shouldn't the rates change as the value of the peso changes?

Edited: 4:18 pm, January 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias