We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal tours by Gustavo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
813 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Personal tours by Gustavo

We have been home from our favourite slice of paradise for almost four weeks now and I couldn’t let anymore time pass without sending a shout out to Gustavo of Dulce Galeria. They don’t have a site on TripAdvisor yet or I would have written my review there. We had read on TA before going that Gustavo, when not working at their sweet shops (they have two locations in Bucerias now) also offers personal tours.

We booked Gustavo for a personal tour of San Sebastien which included stops at a hacienda and tequila factory, as well as the very interesting tour of the town. His rate was comparable to other tours but you received personal attention. He was informative, obliging, interesting, funny, a perfect gentleman, and an excellent tour guide. He picked us up at our hotel, stopped at a coffee shop before we hit the road. We made many stops along the way for photographs, food or bathroom breaks.

Thanks again for a great day Gustavo!

Gordon & Carol

Beaverton, Oregon...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Personal tours by Gustavo

We were customers of Gustavo's candy shop. We spent one full week in Bucerias, and we loved that little town. Everyone was so nice!

However, we had a bad experience with Gustavo. We liked the decorative, painted plates he sells. We bought on large, and one small, and some candies; and he promised to ship them. We spent over $100, all told but never received the items.

We have made many calls and emails but Gustavo refuses to follow through. This is not about a dispute over a lost package; he simply never shipped it. We have talked about it email, so I have proof that this is deal really happened. We have waited 2.5 months for package, and have asked for a refund but so far, he has refused to do it.

Its very disappointing. So do not be deceived by the friendly manner of Gustavo. I do not trust this person.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Personal tours by Gustavo

where in Bucerias is he located?

Beaverton, Oregon...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Personal tours by Gustavo

Gustavo's candy shop is called Dulce Galeria, and is located on a side street. The address is 26 Jose' Maria Morelos, cross street is Lazaro Cardenas. He is right across from a restaurant called Luna Luna.

Speaking of which, Luna Luna ia awesome! Their food is so good. It is gourmet mexican food. Do not miss Luna Luna is you visit Bucerias.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Personal tours by Gustavo

Sorry to hear about the bad experience with Gustavo. They also have a sweet shop in the market...or at least they used to. His wife is a lovely person too and their cute pup. I didn't even know he did plates. Gosh, I really hate to hear that bad news. Maybe he will come through. RD

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
808 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Personal tours by Gustavo

I am curious as to how the items would be shipped. Our understanding is that shipping costs by courier could easily be more than any purchase made that has weight to it. The mail system would take months and there would be a strong chance the items would arrive broken. The recommended method is to have the items packaged and brought back on the plane. Of course many items that people purchase are bulky which is why it is best to only purchase what you can bring back yourself. I have carried many colored plates, bowls, cups, and iron wood carving through customs that my wife has purchased. The worse is when someone gives you a sombrero as a token of appreciation and now you have that to carry back. Oh the comments the custom agents have smirked at me in the many years :) I would suggest coffeeman27 collect his items next trip down. I don't know Gustavo but have learned that the culture of Mexico is that vendors always say yes to your requests however delivery can change by next morning. It is not dishonest but is part of the friendly nature we admire of the people in Bucerias.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Personal tours by Gustavo

Just an observation re: taking tours from locals. last year, when I was staying at the RDC I walked up to OXXO store to make a purchase. While I was there there was a great commotion outside. A lot of yelling and things looked pretty tense. There were taxi cabs and Federal police and things were very heated. I recognized a woman from the resort in the middle of the scrum. Later, when I saw her at the resort, I asked what had gone on. (Just being nosey.) She said that she had taken a tour the day before from a vendor from Bucerias. He had come again to the resort to pick her up a second time to take her somewhere and all the Taxi operators were annoyed and angry with him for stealing a customer. The Taxi drivers had blocked their vehicle in outside the OXXO store and had called the police. She did not understand much of what was being said but basically she got the idea that she'd better not do this again. Something to do with local Taxi rules and regs. Would be something I'd stay clear of. Maybe a local expert could explain what the reason might be. I guess if you are going to do this don't get picked up at the resort. Arrange a different location

bc
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Personal tours by Gustavo

Only certain taxis can come to the RDC, sort of territorial. I'm not sure if they pay a certain price to be able to do that. I believe once you leave the grounds and pass that little spot half way up to the OXXO you are free to get any cab you want.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Personal tours by Gustavo

Cabs are different than tour operators. If you take a tour, make sure you know where they want you to meet them.

Beaverton, Oregon...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Personal tours by Gustavo

Thanks for your comments. We thought shipping was a good idea because the seller was enthusiastic about it, and said it would ship easily. It did not get stuck in the carrier - he just did not ship it.

Yes, the people in Bucerias are very friendly. And so are scammers. We have asked Gustavo for a refund and he says he will send it - but never does. Its just like the package - if we call, there is a lot of friendliness but its just never done. Its been 3 months now, he could do a refund by western union quite easily.

Gustavo is the Thief of Bucerias. Do not trust him.

10. Re: Personal tours by Gustavo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias