We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping (how often)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milwaukee
Level Contributor
653 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
tipping (how often)

Before going to RDC I had read on this forum about tipping the employees. While there we tipped daily....the bartenders, housekeeping, bellmen, security (for promptness with calling a cab), and the waiters/waitresses. I had no problem tipping but I hardly saw anyone else tip.

For those of you who recently stayed.....how often did you tip and who?

I'm just curious

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping (how often)

Good Question - sorry we missed you while we were there. My husband and I saw more people walk away without leaving money at a table than we could believe. when you consider that 10 or 20 Peso from more customers could change the entire quality of their lives. Please remember that these folks get paid next to nothing. We always go during low season, we paid less, for goodness sake take a bit of what you saved and tip. Would you consider going to a hotel or restaurant or bar at home without tipping the service person?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping (how often)

At the RDC AI resort:

Housekeeping 30 pesos per day and I bring small gifts. A bottle of perfume and something for the kids but we usually stay in the same block and get the same maid so we know her.

At the buffets 10 pesos per person.

At the al la carte restaurant 50 pesos per couple.

When we arrive 50 pesos for the bellman same when we leave if he handles our luggage.

For the bartender, I don't usually leave a tip my husband takes care of the bartenders and they know it. He goes to the bank, gets rolls of coins (50 cents) and tips them each time he goes to the bar it encourages other visitors to do the same too when they see it. He gives his favourite a small gift when we leave or a little extra cash or both depends.

Security when they call a cab and open the door 10 pesos.

If it is a taxi driver that I know I tip him 10-20 pesos depending where I am going.

I don't go totally mental - about $100.00 per week

Marion, North...
Level Contributor
732 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping (how often)

We left a tip every day for the maid, and at least a couple of bucks for every meal. Usually a dollar or two to the bartenders too. US dollars were ok when we stayed in Cancun, but I've since learned that folks in Bucerias and the surrounding area are better served by using pesos?(dollars are hard to change at the bank, and maybe the bank isn't available either) I wished I had known this before, because I for sure would have used pesos!

Everyone works so hard, I don't want to make things more difficult!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping (how often)

Something else important to remember...never tip with coins, American or Canadian, makes no difference. They can't sell coins to the bank even if they get there, only paper. When we were leaving I was approached by a bell boy who asked if I would buy a few dollars in quarters from him because, as I knew already, he couldn't do anything with them. I agree, pesos are best...

Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,730 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping (how often)

Thanks for mentioning the coins. I know a taxi driver who usually takes me to the airport when I am returning to Chicago. He sometimes gives me U.S. coins that customers have given him. Of course, I give him pesos in return along with a generous tip. I've met his wife and kids and feel kind of like they are "family".

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,679 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping (how often)

The average resort waiter or bartender makes about $6 US for a ten hour day. Maids make even less.

The problem many people have when at an AI is they assume the staff is getting tips out of their package cost or because they never get a bill, they forget to tip.

In 20 years of traveling to PV, I have been a firm believer of tipping all staff. Because of what they make and because so few people do it, the receiver rewards you with a great smile, muchos gracias and will go out of their way next time they see you by remembering your drink or what you like to eat.

The Mexican people are hard working, friendly, and always trying to please.

Tip well and often.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
653 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping (how often)

I'm glad that we continued to tip despite what we saw others not doing. I had read about how hard the employees work and how little they get paid. $6 for a ten hour day and not to mention I didn't encounter one employee who did not smile or fail to greet us while walking on the grounds (on a daily basis).

Htmdx spouse,

we spent most of our time by the adult pool and then on the beach.

8. Re: tipping (how often)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:30 am, October 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias