We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving From Canada

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver B.C.
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving From Canada

First time driving down to Bucerias. Pretty much have the trip planned, Leaving myself lots of time and will only be driving during daylight hours. Still have a few questions and would appreciate any assistance.

Is it better to buy Mexican car insurance in Mexico or in Arizona before you cross the boarder? I am crossing from Nogales AZ to Nogales MX.

Planning to drive down hwy 15 from Nogales to Tepic. Is it possible to drive 600 KM (375 miles) a day in daylight hours?

Is the place to get the vehicle import permit easy to find in Nogales MX?

Thanks so much.

11 replies to this topic
Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving From Canada

It is probably better to purchase your auto insurance inline ahead of time...

I drive Nogales AZ to Navojoa first night, Mazatlan the second and Guayabitos the third.

The FMM and the TIP can also be done online or at KM 21 south of Nogales MX...

Vancouver B.C.
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving From Canada

Thank you for your reply. What is FMM and TIP?

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving From Canada

The FMM is the 180 day Multi Migration Form (Tourist card) and the TIP is the Temporary Import Permit.. Hope you know all the requirements for entry into Mexico as a tourist and having a vehicle......

Laporte, Colorado
Level Contributor
148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving From Canada

You haven't done a whole lot if research, it sounds like. The TIP is the acronym for Temporary Import Permit. FMM is the Forma Migratoria Multiple. Often called a tourist card or incorrectly, tourist visa.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving From Canada

Purchase insurance online before you leave. Here's a good agency: https://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/

If possible, stay in Green Valley AZ, it is just before the border. Cross the border as soon as you can in the morning. You can easily make it to Los Mochis OR Culican the first night. Second day in Mexico, you can easily make it to Bucerias.

Have a great trip!

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving From Canada

nayarit08, just the driving part not counting gas, potty, lunch and toll stops would be 20 hours, what is the rush, between the the stop at KM21 for permits,many detours and road construction going on and the 10 hours of daylight this time of year I believe is is foolish for a first time driver to Bucerias to attempt your driving days and stop points...

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving From Canada

Here's the link to the FMM form, you can do it online sat.gob.mx/BienvenidoaMexico/…default_eng.htm

Vancouver B.C.
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving From Canada

Thank you all for the info

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving From Canada

Here is an insurance co. I use to compare with the other link, always compare...

https://www.bajabound.com

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving From Canada

Carico.

Call me foolish then lol. This is how I've driven here from the FIRST time I drove here, until the last time I drove here. What's the rush? Well, for me, I always want to get where I'm going. However, to each their own. I was giving the OP the schedule that I personally have done, just like you have given the OP the schedule that you have driven. I guess they can decide for themselves what stops they would like to make themselves. Options for different stops to make is always a good thing!

Reply to: Driving From Canada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias