We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

My husband and I will stay in Eger for a weekend and we plan to visit Tokaj during our stay. My quesions are

1. Is it possible for us to make a day trip to Tokaj from Eger? I know there should be a train service, but l can't find the relevant train schedules and I don't know if we can come back on the same day or not.

2. Is there any wine tour to Tokaj that departs from Eger ? Or any organized wine tours that departs from somewhere in Tokaj? I tried to look into the website of Tourinform Tokaj as well, but can't find the info I need.

3. If we arrive in Tokaj by train, Can we get to a good wine cellar and do a wine tour as well as sightseeing on our own?

I will post my questions in Eger forum as well, hopefully I will get some response from the experts here.

Thanks a million in advance.

10 replies to this topic
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

It's a pretty easy connection between the two towns, though as is generally the case with vineyards and wineries, they are spread across many towns and fields and it's not really a thing to do on foot; you can find tastings easily in Tokaj itself, within an easy walk of the station

i would personally search on Paulfromeger on the forum and send him a PM asking about whether he can arrange a tour for you, ideally by car; it;s what i would do if i were looking to make that connection

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

Thank you for your response. I will try to contact him. Hope that is not too expensive though.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

omawinner

1. Is it possible for us to make a day trip to Tokaj from Eger? I know there should be a train service, but l can't find the relevant train schedules and I don't know if we can come back on the same day or not

Yes it is easily done here is the link to the Hungarian railway system it is in English and you can search your own dates .. http://www.mav.hu/english/index.php

3. If we arrive in Tokaj by train, Can we get to a good wine cellar and do a wine tour as well as sightseeing on our own?

Absolutely it is possible but may require some major work to get to some of the vineyards outside of town but in town you will find many fine places to sample the golden nectar. I suggest searching the forums for people who have gone before.

Additionally let me provide you with what I like to call the correct information, I do so hate to see people have their time wasted when it need not be by bad advice and useless and incorrect information . You should seek out TA member Paul_in_Eger he is a DE for the Eger area and may be of some help send him a PM and see.

Also I do so hope you enjoy your trip

SEBESZ

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,594 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

Just in case...you are aware of the Valley of Beautiful Women in Eger?

Pjk

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

omawinner

OH that is a great suggestion from Pjk

Keep in mind though that Hungary has a 0% tolerance for driving under the influence so please partake of the cab services in Eger

Just a friendly reminder no insult intended

Again enjoy your trip

SEBESZ

Edited: 8:13 pm, January 28, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

Thank you very much for your advice, SEBESZ&Pjk!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

Both the Valley of the Dolls in Egere and Tokaji have a number of small 'huts' where various wineries have 'tasting (and I would guess) ordering and buying) facilities.

I admit to nlot having visited either, so can't say anything about the quality.

However ---

The lot in Tokaji is directly across the line from tthe RR station. So if you can get a train to Tokaji and another one back with an hour of so in Tokaji, you could do that. (The timetables indicate that this is possible.)

The lot in Eger is available by a 'disney-like' train from Domo ter in the town centre which appears to run pretty frequently.

Hope that helps a bit.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

omawinner

Please do note than when searching for this, it is not the Valley of the Dolls, however actually haven been there let me just suggest.

The Valley of the Beautiful Women is a 5-8 minute car or taxi ride away or a 20 minute brisk walk.

There is a circle of 50 numbered cellars all within a small area and very easy to walk. You can go into just about any cellar and taste however many wines you want for very little cost at all.

Some of the better cellars we found were: #43-Sike Tamas, #40-Juhasz Peter and #19- Hagymasi Pince. The hilly landscape of the orchards and vineyards is quite beautiful.

Another interesting and unique thing about Eger is "Camera Obscura" one of a handful of about only 6 or 7 in the world. It is a dark room on top of the Lyceum that spies on the entire city. It is just across from the huge cathedral and is most likely a once in a lifetime experience. Most tourists miss it. It does entail climbing some stairs, but worth it.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

My bad. Of course it's the Valley of Beautiful Women.

It's a similar set-up by the RR station In Tokaji. Probably not as many, but they're definitely obvious.

Edited: 7:45 pm, February 11, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest

Sebesz and Oddone

Many thanks for your practical info again! I really appreciate your help.

Lots of info for me to digest though...

I will surely ask for your help again when I come to the details of our plan.

Reply to: Eger to Tokaj transport & Tokaj wine tours outside Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tokaj