We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lee Beal,Kayak Atitlan,*Los Elementos Adventure Center"

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Lee Beal,Kayak Atitlan,*Los Elementos Adventure Center"

How cool to have the EXPERT from tripadvisor as your personal guide! Thanks to Nancy Hoffman who set us up , we had a fantastic two days with Lee.

Spending time was like being with a super knowledgeble old friend, we had an instant rapor, but Lee is so personable I think just about anyone would feel this way.

Lee met us in Solola and we toured the town and the market, we did not get to Chichi but we really got the feel of a authentic market. the highlight was "snake oil" salesman selling some stuff that would cure everything and would even serve as birth control! hmmm! He spoke in a native language and in Spanish. I saw many of the local women meet my eye and roll them and smile, it was lovely experience.

Next we visited a small village with a breathtakingly authentic colonial church with an incredible mix of indigenous motifs and Spanish symbolism. He was very knowledeble in pointing out the sort of detail that you would just not pick up on a first look. We then toured some other areas with breathtaking scenery of the lake from very high up.

Probably the truly special moment of the trip was when we pulled over at a remote high spot and Llee was greeted with great affection by a group of young girls who obviously adored him and they became our "guides" for a short hike out to a look out point and some caves. There was a shaman conducting a ceremony out there. The past is alive and well in this region.

Lee explained he is very involved in organizations that help and educate local kids. His fondness for the youth and the local culture was very eveident!

The next morning Lee met us in Pana and gave us a day long tour of the lake with a focus on Textiles. We had our own boat and we stopped half a dozen times. we saw the Beals Los Elementos and we would have been thrilled to stay there. The rentals are built in a classic Guatemala colonial style. In a past life Lee was a plant and gardening expert and is working on finding an easy to grow, non invasive cash crop for the local indigenous population. He has found one and I recommend You let him show it to you.

we stoped at several villages noted for there art work and textiles, visited a womens copperative , We did some very efficient shopping , ate a delicious and inexpensive lunch in the most local place you could imagine and loved every minute.

The last stop in the afternoon was in Santiago, where the crafts were great and I bought wonderful art work and textiles. we visited the local square and church and heard the sad history of the atrocities suffered by the local population during tne unrest. Lee knew everyone and was greeted warmly everywhere, I loved that we got to really interact with tne locals. I got more than one hug from a lovely local lady after being introduced by Lee.

O f course we visited the shrine to Maxsimon, fascinating and I am now trying to entice our local watering hole set up a shrine to this extremely INTERESTING entity, who likes to drink and smoke and bestows prosperity to his followers. We loved having a private guide and not being on someone elses schedule, it was , as everthing in Guatemala is , a bargain. Lee is exceptional and we just loved our time in Atitlan.

Lee, your AWESOME!

We had such an awesome time with Lee , we just can not say enough about how great this experience was!

i will cut and paste this post to center spot here on tripadvisor.

7 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,073 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lee Beal,Kayak Atitlan,*Los Elementos Adventure Center"

Awesome review - I hope you'll post it in the review section, too.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lee Beal,Kayak Atitlan,*Los Elementos Adventure Center"

Good to hear you had a memorable experience in guatemala and Lee had a lot to do with it.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lee Beal,Kayak Atitlan,*Los Elementos Adventure Center"

I know it sounds over the top BUT it was.

We had such a short time in Guatemala. Only seven days total

Including travel time . It is amazing how much we experienced in

such a short time I am a confirmed admirer and hope to return very soon.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lee Beal,Kayak Atitlan,*Los Elementos Adventure Center"

Thank for sharing. Sounds like a wonderful time!

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lee Beal,Kayak Atitlan,*Los Elementos Adventure Center"

Unfortunately Hopefulist you cannot review anything that is not listed (e.g with a paid listing!). That's why I keep recommending them here on the Forum!! Along with a number of other things that cannot be reviewed as they are not listed!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,073 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lee Beal,Kayak Atitlan,*Los Elementos Adventure Center"

Isn't this Lee's review page?

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g313832-d1…

Panajachel...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lee Beal,Kayak Atitlan,*Los Elementos Adventure Center"

Your absolutely right! Sorry I missed that!! just don't think of them as an attraction, more a service, but no category for that!!

Reply to: Lee Beal,Kayak Atitlan,*Los Elementos Adventure Center"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Western Highlands
More Western Highlands Topics