We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parrot Cay = Mosquito Cay

New York, NY
7 posts
Save Topic
Parrot Cay = Mosquito Cay

Parrot Cay has planted a lot of new foliage in the past five years, and in spite of regular spraying cannot seem to overcome the mosquito population. My wife and I are savvy travelers; we have taken many trips to the Carribean in years past. Never have we encountered such a problem at an otherwise high end resort. We received 30 mosquito bites, both wile outside and inside our villa, in the course of our first afternoon on the resort. We came from three nights on another island in the Turks and Caicos chain and did not see a single mosquito on this other island. After the rain, and at night, mosquitos can be a problem on most islands, but what was so odd about this was that it was not raining - and all the bites occured before sundown. Thoughtful travelers beware. No matter how nice the staff are about the fact you have bites, you'll be itching - and they'll be taking your money...Money you could have spent somewhere comparable, but without a mosquito problem. They leave a huge can of "off" and a huge can of bug spray in the room; it was not his way five years ago, according to my wife. Parrot Cay might more approriately be named Mosquito Cay. It broke out hearts.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Parrot Cay = Mosquito Cay

No, he is not joking about the boas. We catch them all the time. Lovely little snakes. They are very docile; so far I have never been bitten. Though it wouldn't be the first or even third time I have been bitten by a snake--just not these. The Turks and Caicos are home to some species of boa found no where else in the world. We have dwarf boas, rainbow boas and pygmy boas. Due to the landscaping brought in from other parts of the world we have found the occassional corn snake, a thread snake and some worm snakes.

Chance are you will not be fortunate enough to see one, but you could check out the specimens at teh Environmental Center if they are willing to show them off.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,049 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Parrot Cay = Mosquito Cay

and if I may add-the boas in T&C aren't the poison kind, and they are pretty small. I've seen them through the years, mostly in landscaping of residential neighborhoods.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Parrot Cay = Mosquito Cay

Boas dont bite they squeeze. I have a photo of the 6 foot one that lived in Discovery Bay for years. He would hang out in my neighbours outdoor shower and move through the trees. We also found dozens of the smaller variety all the time while gardening, they are mostly docile, only one was ever aggressive.

Do not worry, you will never see these at the resorts. They prefer to live in the local landscape, in native bush and rocky places. Areas that are not irrigated, sprayed with chemicals and planted with imported tropical flora.

New York, NY
7 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Parrot Cay = Mosquito Cay

Wow, we were supposed to have a butler? I can't believe they did not give us one if we were supposed to have it. Yikes, I was just posting to complain about the bugs - but I suppose there is another issue I did not even realize.

New York, NY
7 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Parrot Cay = Mosquito Cay

Sadly sharks are being fished to extinction in the oceans, so you are not too far off.

Parrot Key gets points, I suppose, for keeping those particular creatures you mention our of our room. Maybe if we paid another thousand dollars per night they would have also included the service of keeping out the roaches?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,049 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Parrot Cay = Mosquito Cay

momus 1: for $1000 more a night, they probably would have scratched your bug bites!

Columbus
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Parrot Cay = Mosquito Cay

Momus - the 3 bedroom villas are several thousand dollars a night in the off season and they do come with a butler. Since it sounds that you were fortunate to pay only a thousand a night, just maybe you can consider that you came out "ahead" in the end. If you were so unhappy you would have asked to switch rooms or would have ended you stay and would have gone back to Provo.

Next time...use the bug spray as they did provide it for your use.

38. Re: Parrot Cay = Mosquito Cay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Parrot Cay
More Parrot Cay Topics