We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Cay worth it?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Cay worth it?

I hate to even ask this because we've been doing tons of research and are about to book our trip. But, as with anything, there are always bad reviews but some of these on here caught my attention... Multiple people talk of flight issues between islands, broken glass on all the beaches and trash everywhere, and others talk of seeing the locals kill and eat the cows and turtles on the island. Is this an isolated event? And could anyone elaborate on the flight issues? Are those things of the past? I'm no snob that needs a glamourous resort or anything. In fact, I love seclusion like this and we're going for the diving and whales but I obviously have other concerns. Oh, that brings up another point. People saying it's rare to see whales? I was told they're already there and this is one of the very main reasons we are going here, to dive and see/possibly swim with the whales. Thanks in advance!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Cay worth it?

I believe this is mostly mis-information. Just To Salt Cay(August 2013) for a Daytripper with my family of 5. We rented a larger golf cart with covered top and really drove all over the Island. Probably drove over 8-10 miles seeing/exploring the Island. It's about 1 mile by 2 miles, so it's very a very small area with about 60 residents. We had no flight issues leaving Provo and landing in Salt Cay. We had no problems leaving Salt Cay to Grand Turk to Provo. There are more wild(feral) donkeys roaming the Island than humans.There is sight of some trash/dumping areas; not to too major of a concern considering the overall charm of the Island. Right now it's Whale season for the next few months around the Island. So YES. Salt Cay is worth it. DR. JIM

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Cay worth it?

Salt Cay is more than worth it!!! If you can go, then go! We just returned from SC a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it!

We stayed at Castaway on North Beach and it was amazing!

We flew with Caicos Express to both GT and SC with no issues. The plane did leave earlier than scheduled from SC, but not before we all arrived so we didn't miss our flight. They just contacted Haidee ( Porter's Island Thyme) to let us know and they made sure we got there in time. Great service by everyone!

We really didn't see a lot of trash etc on the beach. I think it really just depends on the tides etc. what's on the beach is stuff washing in from the ocean, not from the people that live on the island.

We weren't on SC for whale watching, but from what I read and hear, I guess there's a chance of not seeing the whales,as there isn't a guarantee, but odds are very good that you will!

Hope you enjoy SC as much as did!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,943 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Cay worth it?

No flight issues (wow, I've lived to tell!)

Whales are spotted usually around end of January to mid march, sometimes into April. Of course they're not guaranteed, but definitely common

I did it as a day trip in march 2011 and saw 9 whales

No trash on beach (where did you get this from?)

No killing turtles to eat (where did you get that from?)

Rare to see whales (where did you get this from?). While whales are in nature, Salt Cay is definitely the best chance to see them when in season. (I did see them in Cabos too)

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Cay worth it?

<<<<talk of flight issues between islands, broken glass on all the beaches and trash everywhere, and others talk of seeing the locals kill and eat the cows and turtles on the island>>>>>

NEVER heard of any of these??? apart from the odd flight delay.

<<<<it's rare to see whales>>>> seen and dived with them on EVERY trip (been twice every year)

not going say any more - I think this thread will get a lot of replies.......

all I will say is - not sure where you're getting your info from???

Indianoplace
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt Cay worth it?

librahi,

Did you visit the new stores that opened yesterday in Colorado? Just kidding~seriously! Of all the things I have ever heard about Salt Cay, and there's a ton, the things you've mentioned are not included.

Porter is reporting the first whale sighting was on December 18th off the south end of Salt Cay, a big male! But as in life, no guarantees. If you want to feel like you've landed 25 years ago in the Caribbean, you've picked the right spot!!! Go, enjoy! It's going to pass much too fast! I'd go back in a flash.

Safe travels!

Sunny

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salt Cay worth it?

Thanks, guys! I hate reading reviews sometimes. Some people love to gripe for no reason. My apologies. But you can do searches and find the story of a local slaughtering a feral cow right in front of their room. I don't make these things up and I did not visit the new shops yesterday or today! :) We're very excited now. Spending 3 days/nights there and another 3 on Provo. Can't wait!!!! Diving with whales would be UNREAL.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salt Cay worth it?

Salt Cay is SO worth it!! I went with my sister & BFF girlfriend in mid February 2003 for the diving and hopefully the whales. We were not disappointed! The diving was fantastic! Our last dive of the trip was at the shipwreck of the Endymion. While we could not see the whales while diving, we could 'feel' them calling. It felt like a 'thump, thump, thump' in our chest. Nothing has compared since then. Once topside, we saw 15-20 whales breaching, slapping their tails, etc. It was amazing!

Saw no trash or broken glass, but did see donkeys, cows and chickens roaming around (which was fine - just watch where you are walking. LOL) If Ms Pat is still cooking, be sure to have a couple of meals at her house. The conch was out of this world! It is lightly battered & fried. It's the whole conch, not fritters. YUM!

Hoping to go back in 2015.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salt Cay worth it?

SunnyGirl - LOL on the CO comment!

Librahi - we are heading down to Salt Cay for our 4th visit during whale migration. SO worth it!!! We have seen whales each time - one year it was a bit wavy/windy so the whales were harder to spot but we still saw them. Last year we hit the jackpot! Calm seas for our 2 days of whale watching. We experienced everything - followed many whales, saw breaching, tail slapping, fin slapping and the best part was we were able to slip in the water 3 times to swim with them!! Really can't top that experience!! We also heard the whales every time we went diving.

Flotsam/Jestsam on some of the beaches. The only "trash" we saw was an overflow of the trash cans at the dock but did not notice it around the Island. Everyone there will treat you like family, the food is great, diving is great (need a wetsuit in winter). We never had any flight issues (just need to book in advance for the whale migration season since not many seats available on the small airplanes). We love it there! There are quite a few of us that have stayed there so if you have any questions, ask away.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Salt Cay worth it?

Well, they're not raising cows / chickens as family pets, LOL But no, you're not likely to come across a public slaughter. They'd have to charge extra for that. :)

Sounds like a lot of Internet rumors

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salt Cay worth it?

The whales are here - yippee!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Salt Cay
More Salt Cay Topics