We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Salt Cay is often described as the "Island that time forgot". It also is tagged as a place you go to if you want nothing to do. While both of these lines can describe this tiny island, the opposite can be quite true, also.

As for being forgotten, check out Porter's Island Thyme. Hardly left in the past, name it and Porter probably has it or has a connection to get it, whatever your "it" may be. Porter's is an amazing gathering place for everyone on the island.

Nothing to do? Far from it. We were there for 9 nights this trip and ran out of time to get everything done. We spent 2 days on the water with Tim from Crystal Seas Adventures, whale watching. What a great time and Tim has a wonderful boat to handle choppy water. While we didn't get a chance to get in the water with the whales, we had several whales that were quite happy to share some time with us.

We made it to every tip of the island, all with the help of our trusty steeds, fat-tired bikes. So much fun to bike along on hard packed dirt roads and donkey paths. While heading out past the airport one day, we had to wait while a herd of cows leisurely made their way ahead of us. These cows have horns and I don't mean the beep, beep kind. Seemed like a good idea to let them have the right away.

We sat at the southern tip a couple of mornings and whale watched from the shore. We were rewarded by seeing whales breach each time. How cool!

We didn't do any diving on this trip but did bring along our snorkel gear. While there isn't a lot of great snorkeling, there are some spots that are fun to get into the water and check out the sea life.

Beach combing can take up good part of your day. There are pieces of pottery that wash up on shore. One piece I found had enough writing on the back that I was able to research it and discover that it was made by the Burslem Pottery company in Stoke-on-Trent somewhere between 1860 and 1871.

Island Thyme not only has fabulous food, created and served by Lollie and Apol, but it provides evening entertainment. Nights that feature, Bingo, Texas Holdem or Karaoke can keep you occupied. Even the nights with nothing featured provide entertainment by gathering and talking to fellow tourists or locals about their adventures of the day.

If you like to take pictures, an entire day could be spent snapping pics of the wildlife, cows, donkeys, osprey, lizards and crabs or the quaint houses and island settings.

From the minute you arrive, whether by a small plane from Provo or Grand Turk or by ferry you know you have found some place truly special. If you are looking for a spot where you are greeted as a friend and made to feel welcomed everywhere you go, look no further. Salt Cay is a true gem and we feel lucky to have had the opportunity to explore it.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Hopefully I'm on my way in April. Val from Turks and Caicos Reservations is working on putting something together for a day trip over. I would love to spend more time... someday..In the mean time I'll scout it out for my future stay.

Thanks for posting. Sounds like my kind of island...Can't wait !!!!

Any Pictures to Share ?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Thanks so much for this trip report! We are planning on visiting Salt Cay this fall for a week long visit. It'll be our first time there and are very excited about it!

Loved that you had a great find while beach combing .....planning on doing the same thing.

Where did you stay? And yes, pictures please!!

Great read!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Sounds like you had a great vacation! Thanks for sharing your trip report!

We just got back from 2 nights in Salt Cay and ran out of time to do everything we wanted (we will stay longer next year)! We love the food & atmosphere at Island Thyme - Haidee & Porter along with Lollie & Apol do a great job! We also did 2 days of whale watching with Crystal Seas Adventures. We had such a great experience with Tim & Daniel! I lost track of how many whales we saw - we were even able to swim with the whales on both days!

I hope to write up a trip report sometime this week.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Cool report!! so glad you liked it!!

we get to go to SC a few times every year.

for those of you heading this way soon, be sure to check out;

GREAT SAND CAY (I have reviewd this on TA, and Tim can take you if the weather is right - be prepaired to weep tears of joy when you see the stunning beach & water)

WHITE HOUSE (which Tim owns and a tour is available if you ask nicely!)

GIBBS CAY - swim with sting rays in shallow water - get Tim to take you on a NON CRUISE SHIP day)

DEBBIES GRILL - Sunday night for the best BBQ ribs in the world!!

TAYLORS HILL - for views of the entire island from the old ruins

ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Hi maca81, we stayed at Beach House North. This is our second time to stay there. It is a one bedroom with a king and full size bed, one bath house located directly on the water. There is a small beach in front that has some pottery and sea glass that washes up each day. Also, there is a cut in the rock that allows you to get in the water for a swim or a bit of snorkeling. It is located about a mile from "town", so it is an easy bike ride for dinner. While it can't be desribed as luxury accomodations, it is clean, quiant and contains everything we could ask for. The view off the second floor balcony is really the reason we fell in love with it. We were there during whale season and were able to spot whales quite often. We rented the house through Haidee at haidee127@gmail.com . She and her husband Porter are owners of Island Thyme Restaurant.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Too funny klikesfins - we stayed in Beach House South! You may have been the couple we met that checked out the day we were checking in! We never did get time to walk the beach in front - next time! It is a great location for whale watching, sunsets, and star gazing - love the view off the balcony.

ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

I posted some photos of our trip here...

…photobucket.com/user/klikesfins/story/13195

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,563 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Please please please post pictures!

Please?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for posting some pictures - yep, we met you the afternoon when we arrived and you were leaving the next morning.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the report and pics....loved the "local traffic jam"!

Get answers to your questions about Salt Cay
More Salt Cay Topics