We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

I'm back!!!!! Planning a trip in June, this will be our 3rd time back! Can't wait!

My question. this time around we are going to stay two nights instead of going for a day trip. Where should we stay, Blue Horizon Middle Caicos or Pelican Beach North Caicos?

Thank you!!!!

Edited: 1:01 pm, July 27, 2012
Mt. Airy, MD
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

When we tried to go to Blue Horizon earlier this month, we were told they had a 3 night minimum. We ended up staying at Pelican Beach, since we were only staying for 2 nights. Pelican Beach is very basic, but worked for us. We also found that having a 'restaurant' at Pelican Beach was a plus, but I believe that Blue Horizon's will be finished later this year. (I don't want to cook on vacation, since I cook all the time at home!!)

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
761 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

Check with BHR on their minimum.

It depends on what you want. If you're going for complete seclusion and tranqulity, I'd suggest BHR. If you want to be closer to a few more dining options, some grocery stores and a liquor store, maybe North is your place.

You also have a concierge on site at BHR which makes things very nice. You're all alone, but you're not.

BHR and Middle Caicos are secluded, and very quiet. However, for 3 days, there's ample stuff to do on Middle - 3 very nice beaches, kayaking (BHR has kayaks), fishing and snorkel trips (BHR will arrange those too), caves, hiking the Crossing Place Trail, Haulover Plantation.

Mudjin Bar and Grill is slated to open in December 2012. That will be onsite at BHR and I believe they will have lunch and dinner (you might need to take care of breakfast, but Christi can provision your cottage for you)

There's also Daniel's Cafe open T-Sun for lunch and a few nights of the week for dinner (you can order carry out as well)

I'll let the North Caicos visitors chime in about their stays on North and why they prefer it - and you should have a bunch of good info.

www.facebook.com/turksandcaicosguide has a bunch of Middle and some North info and images.

Edited: 1:30 pm, July 27, 2012
Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

To me.....would love to give Blue Horizon a try sometime for a few days.

Once you do a day trip to Middle.....you are hooked.

Mike

Providenciales
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

Having been to both properties and both islands, I think that AmyCaicos hit the nail on the head about BHR in Middle - certainly a lot of cool things to do in Middle - but if you can't do the min stay, Pelican Beach Hotel can be just the ticket.

Some ideas for North...

Cottage Pond, village of Kew (make a few rights onto the paved road, to the hwy then you're close to Wade's Green which is a super cool place to visit for a few hrs - it's a meandering old plantation ruin, pathways through the walls and the old entry road with the longest wall left in TCI!) - Flamingo Pond you may see some flamingoes in their natural habitat (walk with your binoculars).

Bottle Creek (I was born and raised there!) is a cool place to check out the amazingly pretty views of the East Bay Islands reserve just offshore, sandbars popping through the waves and lots of big trees. You've got to stop by my aunt's shop, close to Bottle Creek Highschool where you can sample her homemade PASALIDA which is a homemade beef-or-chicken patty). Buy homemade bread, share a beer by Dar’s, pick up snacks at the shops, or sit and dangle your feet at the Trinity church pier…everyone is friendly and ready to chat.

Timing? To enjoy a swim at Whitby (close to Cottage Pond), set aside 2 hours to find your spot, walk the beach and enjoy a refreshing swim. Stop for 1/2 hr at Flamingo Pond and really see how they move, feed, fly.

Hope this is helpful to your vacation planning to our islands!

- Dulga

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

Wow! I feel like anything I can add is "wimpy" after reading Amy's and Dulga's posts. We've visited North / Middle a few times, but I'm going to copy / save their posts for future reference. Great stuff!

Ditto what tcimike said. :-)

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
761 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

CaribDesi - you know I wrote an entire guide book on Middle Caicos - includes a lot of the attractions on North too.

<---------------------------------

Edited: 3:50 pm, July 27, 2012
Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
761 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

And, the Village of Kew maybe one of my favorite TCI villages. So different than anything else- and the oak trees - what a surprise.

Oh, and in Bottle Creek (or Bokkle Creek ;) ) there's Last Chance owned by Howard Gibbs. A great place for a drink and a burger.

And, the flats of Bottle Creek are breathtaking . . . .

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

There are plans fr Last Cahnce to expand a dock suspended on the hill over the water, sounds amazing!

Hope they get to do it!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

Thanks everyone, I think we are leaning toward Blue Horizon. 2 night min stay, we may stay 3 nights.

On our last trip to Provo, we took the ferry over to N. Caicos and rented a car and drove around N & Middle Caicos and had a great time. We said we would stay the night when we return to Provo. The only place we did not get to see was Mudjin Harbour, for some reason we kept passing the entrance. How? Don't know!!! So it would be nice to just stay there and enjoy the beach and hike the crossing trail, which is the other thing we missed out on.

thanks aganin!!!

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
761 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Horizon or Pelican Beach Hotel

djb, be sure to check out our Facebook page for images and now, videos, on going to Middle Caicos. Over the coming weeks we'll have video at BHR too.

We just posted the ferry ride over.

www.facebook.com/turksandcaicosguide