We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

India
13 posts
Save Topic
questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

We are planning to rent a home/ apartment in torrox pueblo during dec/jan for a week.

We are travelling with two children (11 and 10 years old) and hope to be able to make this our base to explore and do day trips to granada, malaga, ronda.

Is this a good idea? how will torrox be in the winter? what is the difference between Torrox E and torrox and torrox costa? i see these names in the schedules of the bus.

We do not plan to rent a car and will be relying on the public transport. how will that work out? are the bus services from torrox good?

thanks in advance for any help.

best,

sanjana

Torrox Costa Promenade
Gift & Specialty Shops
Black Frog Divers
Walking Tours, Water Sports, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling
Deco Dive Torrox
Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling
Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

Torrox Pueblo is a lovely place to stay and a good base for touring Andalucia - but can be quite chilly in December and January so make sure that your accommodation has adequate heating!

Torrox Costa is the coastal area whilst Torrox Pueblo is a few kilometers inland.

There is a good public transport system - buses to Malaga can be taken from the Pueblo but those to Granada etc. go from the Torrox coast; there is a regular service between Torrox Pueblo and Torrox Costa. There is no bus service to Ronda so you would have to change in Malaga. Car hire would be an advantage.

You need to ensure that your accommodation is really in the village proper as many places advertised as Torrox Pueblo are actually quite a long way out and therefore not on a bus route.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

On the bus timetable Torrox (E) is Torrox Costa, and is as the name suggests, on the coast. Torrox Pueblo is a little inland and usually colder in winter than the coast. Day time temperatures can be really warm with sunshine, but temperatures drop dramatically by night.

A local bus service runs about every hour between Pueblo and Costa from 0730 to 2030. Taxis cost about €6.

As Casaiandra states, you have to get the Alsa bus from Torrox Costa for most destinations, although a few buses do go to Malaga from the Pueblo.

India
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

thanks so much for your replies, casaianda and pavoreal. this is very useful information.

the house advertised does say that it is in torrox pueblo, close to the main square, but I'll still confirm.

So I think we will have to take a bus to Torrox costa and then plan day trips to granada and ronda.

we will be in torrox pueblo for new years. Any idea on how that will be?

also, we are coming to malaga from barcelona and plan to take the train. is there a night train, as what I see on the renfe web site is a 9.00 am morning train from barcelona that reaches malaga at 15.30.

I guess we should be able to get a bus at that time for torrox pueblo, right?

thanks,

sanjana

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

The Barcelona to Malaga AVE (High speed train) is a new service, it looks like this train has replaced the previous trenhotel (night train service), as I cannot find any reference to it. Others may have better luck.

Have you considered flying? www.vueling.com have a daily flight at 1300 arriving Malaga at 1430, cheaper than the train.

I can't advise on New Year's Eve in the Pueblo. We usually have a meal on the Costa then watch fireworks from home.

El Chicle (expensive €120 pp) special meal + fireworks (but anyone sees fireworks for free).

Dong Fang Cheng (Excellent Chinese) about €75 pp. Again fireworks, on the beach for all to see.

Not many other restaurants open, those that are usually require a reservation.

The best party is on the Balcon de Europa in Nerja, but again reservations will be required at most of the restaurants, and getting a taxi back to Torrox is not easy.

India
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

thanks much Pavoreal.

the airline website is real good. Yes, it does seem like a good option, I think we shall go for it.

your responses have helped in making up our minds regarding our holiday in torrox.

will the water world and other parks etc be open during the new year week? are there any other attractions for kids that you would recommend.

also, hope torrox pueblo is safe for staying in a rented place.

this is our first time to spain and we are trying to do the city sights (barcelona and madrid) and also try and experience a bit of the andalucia region.

do you recommend getting a bus pass? is this valid on all kinds of buses. or is it better to just buy the bus tickets as we undertake our journeys?

thanks so much,

warm regards,

sanjana

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

Torrox is a perfectly safe place to stay as long as you are sensible and keep a close eye on your wallets, bages etc when out and about and lock your accommodation up safely when going out - same rules apply wherever you visit around the world.

There will be no water parks etc. open in December/January - far too cold; these all close from mid-September to mid-May. If your stay covers the period over Christmas up to 5th January take your children to see the Christmas lights in Malaga City - one of the best displays in Europe. They would also enjoy a trip to the Donkey Sanctuary at Nerja that is just a short bus ride from Torrox. There is also an indoor Swimming Pool at Nerja. There is also a brand new, state of the art Aquarium at Almunecar that also has a popular bird park.

By the way, the trip to Ronda by bus will take a long time from Torrox allowing for changing services/making connections in Malaga - could be rather boring for your children.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

Hi, I've just got in after an evening out so couldn't reply earlier. Casiandra has covered just about everything I would have commented.

Unfortunately, there really isn't a lot to amuse your children at this time of year around Torrox, with regards to "touristy" things. But with your itinerary of Granada, Malaga an Ronda in 1 week, you should have enough to keep you occupied.

There is also at Fuengirola, and Selwo marina (dolphins, sealions etc) at Benalmadena, but these are a good 2 hours away by bus. http://www.selwomarina.com/ (only in Spanish)

Tivoli World amusement park is also at Benalmadena, and open Saturdays and Sundays. http://www.tivoli.es/eng/index.php

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

Oops, meant to type " there is also a zoo at Fuengirola.

Too much Mahou beer, time for bed!!!

India
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

this is all so much useful information.

we actually plan to spend three days in barcelona and madrid so hopefully the week in torrox will be good for relaxing, walking and taking in the local flavour.

After reading your posts, I think we should just do one day trip to granada - the al hambra, and perhaps one to malaga and the rest of the time spend at torrox. of course we could do nerja. I suppose there are buses to nerja as it's pretty close by.

I have heard of the local markets in the area and perhaps we can go to one of these.

we are vegetarians (no fish as well), do you recommend any good restaurants in torrox for vegetarian food?

thanks much,

sanj

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: questions on torrox pueblo winter holiday

Oh dear - Spain is a non-friendly country foodwise for Vegetarians! Even a so called plain salad usually comes with Tuna and Egg and a Tropical Salad comes with Prawns so stress that you do not want this when ordering. The only Vegetarian restaurant I know - there were more but all have closed down - is by the Roman Amphitheatre excavations in Malaga City. You will have more choice restaurant wise in the cities you are visiting.

You may find it better to eat at the local Tapas Bars where you can chose what you want from the display. If you eat Eggs there are several selections suitable for non Meat/Fish eaters including the wonderful Tortilla (famous Spanish Omelette). If you don´t eat eggs your choices are more limited. Try Patatas Bravas (diced Potatoes in a spicy sauce), Grilled Peppers, Mushrooms in Garlic Sauce (but first check that these don´t have bits of ham added), Ensalada Rusa (Diced Potato and Vegetable Salad in Mayonnaise) amongst others. British run restaurants are also a better choice for you than spanish ones as these often have a couple of Vegetarian options on the Menus; also there are a couple of Indian restaurants and several Chinese restaurants in Torrox Costa that have a good selection of Vegetarian options.

Buses to Nerja are very frequent but go from the coast not the pueblo.