We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final plans for our July trip to Nosara

Which Nosara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Final plans for our July trip to Nosara

My family and I are visiting Nosara from July 26 to August 2. Here are some questions that I hope someone can answer for us:

Due to my son's severe food allergies (nuts and fish), we plan to do most if not all of our own cooking in our rental unit. We are renting a car at the airport in Liberia and driving to Nosara. Where is the supermarket in Nicoya? Are there small markets in Nosara that would work as well?

My son and husband are planning to surf. They are not beginners but haven't been surfing for a few years and need refresher lessons. Should they make reservations before we arrive?

Any recommendations for non-touristy activities for a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers (ages 15 and 18) that enjoys being outside (weather permitting) and exploring a place so unlike our home (we live in the Colorado foothills) as well as suggestions for us if the weather is bad?

Edited: 7:23 pm, July 04, 2014
Toronto
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final plans for our July trip to Nosara

there are many super markets on the main road between Liberia and Nosara, there is also a supermarket in Nosara town and smaller stores at Playa Guiones, i don't think reserving surf lessons during green season is needed, things to do:kayaking at Samara beach, zip lining, National Parks, beach combing, don't worry-weather won't be bad, usually sunny bright mornings , clouds roll in at mid-day then 1-3 hours of rain in the late afternoon and overnight

Shady Cove, Oregon
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final plans for our July trip to Nosara

There are some nice markets in the Playa Guiones area if you are staying down near the coast. We picked up things like peanut butter, coffee, loaf of bread, coconut water, etc... Lots of organic and healthy options, and you get a dollar back if you return the glass jars.

While there I rented a 4-wheeler and rode into the actual town of Nosara - about 6 miles in. Tourists don't seem to go out there for some reason, but I thought it was amazing. It's quite a different way of life from what we're used to in the states, and not even the same as the residents who live near the beach just 6 miles away. The drive was fun - you will pass some neat buildings and mango groves as you enter town. There are a few restaurants and markets in town where the food is cheaper than at the stores down by the coast. The people likely won't know English, but it wasn't a problem for me even with my limited Spanish.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final plans for our July trip to Nosara

Yes, there are stores around Guiones, Pelada and Nosara, but you'll get a better deal at the market in Nicoya.

It's on the main road through town, just on the other side of the Bank, on your left hand side.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final plans for our July trip to Nosara

Thanks everyone for the information. We're looking forward to this long awaited family vacation.

5. Re: Final plans for our July trip to Nosara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 19, 2015