We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica and are just diving into the planning of it. So far, we've found Harmony Hotel in Nosara which would satisfy his desire to surf and my desire for yoga/and learning to surf.

My guess is that we'll have about 9 days. Should we split our time between Nosara and Santa Theresa or do something like Jaco? Also, should we rent a car and drive?

Harmony said that August and September are the best months for surf. Is that correct? I thought that was the wet season.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

I would not say that Aug. Sept are the BEST months for surf. The BEST is the dry season. That being said, your husband will have some good surf as Nosara has a very consistent beach break. That is the reason my husband and I moved to Nosara as he likes to surf every day and for the most part, Nosara is great for that. He can also surf nearby at other breaks from 30-45 minutes away. And you will be able to take lessons. It is a great spot to learn as there is a nice soft sand bottom.

July and Aug. are 'little summer' and there won't be as much rain as late Sept. or Oct, but there will most likely be afternoon and evening showers, so do your surfing in the mornings and your yoga in the afternoons! Sounds perfect to me!

I like the idea of splitting up the trip, but instead of Santa Teresa, which would be about a 4-1/2 hour drive and have more rain, why not go north to the Playa Negra, Tamarindo or Playa Grande area! Great surf at tall those places and half the travel time to get there, with less chance of rain than Santa Teresa area.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

Santa Teresa and Nosara are great beaches. Jaco is a lot bigger and although a lot of tourists visit it; it is not the cleanest beach you can find. The best weather in August and September is on the Caribbean coast, but it isn`t always the best time to surf there. With the good weather comes calm seas!

Even in Paradise you can`t have it all! Have a fantastic time wherever you decide to go!

13. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Nosara