We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Nosara

Mass
12 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Nosara

Some family members going March 2010. Any pointers re: Surfing-Fishing (who to contact), Canopy trip ?

Area safe for small children / babies ? They are renting in a gated community, it sounds like.

Thanks anyone who might be looking.

Could only find a couple outdated blogs re: this area in CR

Secret Spot Costa Rica
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Fishing Charters & Tours
Juan Surfo's Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Ukulele Surf
Gear Rentals, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Playa Guiones Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,090 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Nosara

I take my kids around there...safe...I will said yes...as far as you have good old common sense!

roadadvisor

NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Nosara

Normally safe -- don't be stupid and leave electronics out and unsecured -- but safe generally. Be careful with the tots in the water because despite the fact that its shallow, there can be a surprisingly strong undertow and there is NO lifeguard on duty. The beach has a sandy bottom, the water is super warm, and not much wildlife near to shore BUT some small stingrays which will shoo away if you walk by shuffling your feet against the bottom.

Miss Sky is the canopy zip operator, it was really fun and the guys were nice. Safety wise it was on the level (the zips are anchored into huge concrete pilings, not trees like you see sometimes) . Safety harnesses brand name and in good repair. In the morning there are 13 zips and a stop at a waterfall. In the afternoon I believe there are 9 zips. I went in late Dec and the jungle was not lush, and the waterfall was more of a trickle, but it was neat anyway. Some of the zips are tremendously long.

I had a great experience with Safari Surf School and would recommend them completely - they are full service and can book your hotel, airport connections, fishing, zipline, whatever. And obviously surf lessons.

Nosara Surf Shop rents boards if you don't need lessons. They also have ATV's for rent if you need that. Bring lots of sunblock (in 4oz TSA-approved containers, natch) because it's fairly expensive in town.

There's an ATM/bank branch in town, and a doctor who is also a surfer :), and a small pharmacy that just carries basics.

Don't forget to try a "michelada" - they fill glass half full of lime juice, and top up with beer.

Have a great vacation!

3. Re: Trip to Nosara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Nosara