We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveler

Which Kato Gouves hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Solo traveler

Young fifty-ish lady, travelling without husband this time. Thinking of a (first time) visit to Crete, for two weeks in September. Possibly stay at Andreas apartments in Gouves. I just want to chill. Would like to feel some of "real" life on Crete. Not looking for nightlife/entertainment and won't have transport. Happy to wander, beach sit, eat casually when I feel like it, and I'm easily pleased!

Does Gouves fit the bill?

Any thoughts appreciated. :-)

1. Re: Solo traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:14 pm, May 28, 2012
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo traveler

Thanks for the input Steve.

It will be a package deal I think, coming from Ireland, so I will be a bit limited as to where I end up. I like the sound of Gouves though, I think, and hopefully I will use it as a base and take a few excursions around the place.

Still have not decided. :-)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo traveler

Hi there

if you don't mind using a taxi, and seeing as you'd like to see a bit of real Crete, take a ride up to the three villages on the hillside that overlook the resort of Hersonissos,just to the east of Gouves. You could for example, get the taxi to drop you off in Koutouloufari, then walk the straight road between there and the other two villages of Piskopiano and Old Hersonissos, maybe stop for some lunch, then walk down the hill into Hersonissos and either grab a taxi from the rank ( by the bank and petrol station) or a bus back to Gouves.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo traveler

That's great GB. Thanks a lot. I will make note of that, it sound just my sort of thing. :-)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo traveler

Hi again

The villages are lovely, I'm not saying you won't see other visitors because you will, but the villages are away from the general north coast bustle and are relaxed and charming. We drove into Old Hersonissos in Sep 2010, stopped in "To Margo" taverna there for a bite to eat, and realised there was a christening party at the adjacent taverna. There's were 100s of people there, with music, loads of food, people in their best garb and a totally lovely atmosphere.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo traveler

That must have been lovely to be "part of"! Seeing the people just getting on with day to day life and celebration. In Cyprus once, I came across a wedding occuring in a small church near Limassol. I stood and watched everyone enter the church but I never went in. Now I wish I had snuck in and sat at the back!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo traveler

....and no one would have cared or minded....:0)

york
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo traveler

Gouves is such a friendly place so although you may be travelling alone I doubt you wont have anyone to talk to.

my husband and I have been travelling to Gouves for over 10 years and have taken family and friends. It is very laid back with many nice tavernas where to sit and watch the world go by. all the beaches are well maintained by the hotels or the pool bars adjacent. no loud rowdy groups and a great base to explore the rest of the island.

Pano gouves has a fantastic taverna near the church and was a 30 minute bike ride to get to. more traditional than kato gouves.

enjoy your trip.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo traveler

The first time we went to Gouves, there was a wedding at the small chapel near Philipos' taverna. Everywhere was decorated with ribbons, including several Harley-Davidsons(!), and the ceremony was held in the open air after dark on a Saturday night.

One of those life-long memories of beautiful Greece for me.

Edited: 11:06 am, April 08, 2012
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo traveler

:-)

Lovely memory.

Get answers to your questions about Kato Gouves
Recent Conversations