We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Tekapo and Mt. Cook-walks, flights, bookings in advance

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
180 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Tekapo and Mt. Cook-walks, flights, bookings in advance

We are visiting Lake Tekapo and Mt. Cook in early March. We arrive midday in Christchurch then will drive to Lake Tekapo and plan visit Church of the Good Shepherd, Mt John Observatory (day for view and night for tour). Do we need to book the Mt. John night tour in advance or can we book on arrival? We'd rather wait as we will likely pass if it is not clear weather. Also, do you have any suggestions for scenic walks or runs in the area (nothing too rocky or uneven but uphill ok)? I usually run from 4-12 miles.

The next day we will travel to Mt. Cook Village where we will stay the night. We hope to fit in a flight, some walks/runs, and maybe even a trip to see the glaciers (might opt for viewing from shoreline but want to get feedback on the tour on the water.

We are considering a flight over Mt. Cook/Fox/Franz glaciers (not necessarily with glacier walk unless that is a must-do). We were considering Air Safaris out of Lake Tekapo or Mt. Cook Ski Planes or Helicopter Line out of Mt. Cook. Do you have recommendations on which is best and safest? I somehow feel the planes are safer but not sure. Would we need to book this in advance? Is a morning flight or afternoon flight best? How accurate are forecast for clear weather in that area?

Also, is the Hooker Valley walk something that I could run? Or is it best done in hiking boots (for someone with weak ankles)? Other areas for scenic runs in the Village?

We will leave the next morning after an overnight in the Village for Lake Wanaka, so might possible have another chance for clear weather that morning.

Thanks for your thoughts on our plans and advice!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,261 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Tekapo and Mt. Cook-walks, flights, bookings in advance

In March I doubt you'ld have to book tours. However they will certainly refund your money if the weather is too bad to operate.

The Hooker Valley can be WALKED in joggers but I wouldn't advise running it - steps & rocky bits. Plus you'd be an annoyance to walkers!! Kea Point could be run quite easily as most of it is pretty even .

I would recommend the Mt Cook SkiPlanes over the Tekapo-based ones because you start closer to the mountains so spend more flight time over the glaciers.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
180 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Tekapo and Mt. Cook-walks, flights, bookings in advance

We will try to leave then from Mt. Cook. After reviewing the options at Mt. Cook, my husband convinced me to try to the helicopter trip. It looks like the Helicopter Line offers a trip called Mountain High which views Mt. Cook, Fox and Franz glaciers as well as offers a snow landing for $399. The Mt. Cook Ski Plane trip was quite a bit more so we are leaning toward the Helicopter Line. Or do you think Mt. Cook Ski planes is much better? I didn't find any other options from Mt. Cook.

I've often run/walk on hiking trails/paths in many countries--e.g. Argentina, Chile, Italy, etc. I don't think I've ever annoyed walkers as I usually walk, not run, past them if it is narrow. In fact, many have started up conversations with me along the way. I usually chose the fire road trails for jogging...that is why I was checking on this as it was hard to find this information online. I don't think that I would run on Hooker Valley and with rocks and steps anyway and with my weak ankles will probably need hiking boots.

3. Re: Lake Tekapo and Mt. Cook-walks, flights, bookings in advance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, February 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Aoraki Mount Cook...
More Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu) Topics