We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Auckland-Tairua

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
drive from Auckland-Tairua

My husband and I have 2 days in Coromandel area. Is Tairua a good location to base ourselves. Is it too much to drive in one day and head up the coastline to Coromandel, the point at the end then down to Tairua?

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from Auckland-Tairua

Tairua is a good place to base yourself (I would generally recommend either Tairua or Whitianga - Tairua is a little bit further away from Hot Water Beach/Cathedral Cove, than Whitianga, but it is a much smaller & less touristy town, which I personally like)

Its not too far to drive in a day from Auckland- Thames-Coromandel West Coast to Coromandel Town - down to Tairua. It probably 3.5 - 4 hours driving time in total, some quite windy roads, but a great drive.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from Auckland-Tairua

we loved Tairua !!! a really quiet little seaside town around a very tranquil bay....we stayed at Paku Lodge (fantastic place) at the base of Mt Paku with the most beautiful view over the water. We found Whitianga too expensive to stay and we went for a look but weren't overly fussed. Cathedral Cove is a great place to stop and look if you don't mind a bit of a walk up and down the hill!

Have fun

3. Re: drive from Auckland-Tairua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 22, 2012