We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks and New Chums beach

Which Coromandel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chatel, France
6 posts
Save Topic
Walks and New Chums beach

We are staying in Hahei next weekend and would like to do one or two easy walks (we have a 3yr old and 14 month old) - has anyone done the Kauri grove walk? Any other suggestions for particularly scenic walks?

Also, we want to go to New Chums beach which I gather is either a boat trip in or a 30min each way walk 'over rocks' - can anyone advise how difficult this bit would be with a baby in a backpack?

Thanks!

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks and New Chums beach

Let me revisit my nightmare lol.

First you wade an estuary (not difficult, just wet feet). Then you scramble over beach boulders followed by a game of "hunt the track". On said track you will encounter such things as walking along narrow bits where you really don't want to consider the consequences of a possible tumble onto the rocks down below, you will find a piece of track which is too steep to walk up (don't worry, someone has kindly provided a rope to help haul yourself up this bit). And (my personel favourite bit) the tree trunk which is across the track which leaves those not of super model height temporarly stranded with a leg each side whilst we contemplate our next move!

Actually it's a jaw droppingly beautiful beach but the walk in was a complete shock for me and there were several points that I wanted to give up and turn back. Having said that though, it was a miserable day and yet there were quite a few others using the path which proves how worthwhile New Chums is. I'd love to go back - by boat!!

Chatel, France
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks and New Chums beach

Ha ha, that made me giggle! Thanks so much for your response - I think that doing that with a baby on my back doesn't sound like such a good idea!!

I will definitely investigate the boat option!

All the best

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walks and New Chums beach

All joking aside, I really would love to go back because by the time we actually got to the beach we really only had time to spend 10 minutes or so, snap a few pics and then retrace our 'steps' (I'm thinking of applying for a spot on Survivor on the basis of having survived it ;). So... if you have info about a boat trip that drops you off at New Chums I'd love to hear about it. Coromandel is fast becoming a bit of a favourite destination for Hubby and myself!

Have a lovely weekend and glad you got a giggle out of my post. :)

Chatel, France
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks and New Chums beach

Sure thing. I am investigating so will let you know....

5. Re: Walks and New Chums beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 02, 2011