We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A good spot at Coromandel

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
A good spot at Coromandel

Hi,

I have the main itinerary based on this post and replies:

tripadvisor.com/…28390505

Now I'm working on different areas so I can book hotels before they get full.

So which place is good to stay in Coromandel area? I already see a suggestion for Whitianga. Would that be a good spot so I can go around and see what we should (parents with two kids, 8 and 11)?

While there, what is that we should not miss? We're folks that like to go around and see things and nature. We like beach, too.

Also, is there any chance to swim in the ocean in the second half of December - without freezing? We would be at Coromandel around 20th.

Many thanks.

P.S.

I see that the drive from Auckland would be via No. 1, then 2, and then 25.

Would using smaller roads via Matingarahi, Wharekawa and Miranda Hot Springs, and then jumping onto 25 be a mistake?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
995 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: A good spot at Coromandel

Where are you looking for accommodation? The Coromandel is full of cottages and cabins that are not hotels or motels, so they appear in different directories online.

I was able to rent a tourist cabin at a holiday park in Whitianga over Christmas a few years back. Take a look at the AA website and bookabach if you haven't already.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: A good spot at Coromandel

I thought about hotel/motel type of accommodation.

I'm looking into a place with a lot of good reviews: http://www.ferrylandinglodge.co.nz/

I'm just not sure what I get or lose with this location that is opposite to the Whitianga town (across the water). It looks to me that ferry is for "on the foot" only.

What are pros and cons of being at this spot? Or should I try to find something in Whitianga itself?

The main point is that we would go around Coromandel during the 4-5 days stay.

Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: A good spot at Coromandel

Vancouver, if you were just wanting a relaxing time and maybe take a tour or two from Whitianga then FerryLanding Lodge would be ideal. There's some lovely beaches within walking distance. And if you were just going to be visiting Hahei & Hot Water beach then it would also be fine. But if you're wanting to tour around the Coromandel, especially north of Whitianga then staying on that side of the estuary will involve a good 30-40 minutes drive to just get you back into Whitianga on fairly narrow and winding roads.

The ferry is very convenient to get you into Whitianga for a walk, provisions and picking up a tour from the iSite(information centre) and only takes 5 mins to cross and another 5 mins walk to the main street. there are also plenty of restaurants & cafes within easy walking distance or the wharf. But you do need to keep an eye on the time to catch the last sailing at night.

14. Re: A good spot at Coromandel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, April 04, 2011