We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Medellin to Manizales - cost and duration?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
279 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Medellin to Manizales - cost and duration?

I will be in Medllin at the end of December for a few weeks. I am thinking about heading south to Manizales to visit friends.

Anyone know: What is the cost? Trip time? Road conditions? How often do buses leave?

Thanks in advance,

LA Traveler

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Medellin to Manizales - cost and duration?

Head for Pereira takes one hour 5000 COP or so. In Pereira

company Empresa Arauca to Manizales 1.5 more 8000 COP

roads ok not great....

Medellin, Colombia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Medellin to Manizales - cost and duration?

A bus from Medellin would take 4-5 hours by my estimate since it took a little under 4 hours when I went in a car a year ago. Here is a site for one of the bus companies in Medellin http://www.rapidoochoa.com/default.aspx.

If you still need a place to stay during your trip to Medellin, here are some affordable options at http://medellinrentalsonline.net that might work for you

Edited: 10:44 am, November 30, 2010
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Medellin to Manizales - cost and duration?

We did the journey direct in the opposite direction earlier this year (no need to backtracki to Pereira!) and, yes, it took over 4 hours with a 30 minute stop for lunch at a small town on a river somewhere. It's a very scenic ride and the road was fine.

No need to prebook. Just show up at the southern bus station in Medellin and find which company has the next departure: there are several.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
279 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Medellin to Manizales - cost and duration?

Great info, thanks all.

Yes in January this year (2010) I traveled by bus from Bogota to San Gil (stayed a week in SG) then onto Bucamarranga (sp?) and back. As I recall it took about 7 hours +/- each way. Hilly ride but a great way to see the country.

I am surprised that this journey is only about 4 hours. I need to look at my map again.

I will be in Medellin two weeks from today. This is my 3rd trip to Colombia THIS YEAR (4th trip all together) so this speaks about my feelings about this country and it's people.

Thanks,

LA Traveler

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Medellin to Manizales - cost and duration?

It's almost worth going to Manizales for the bus ride alone. Plenty of direct busses, so forget about Pereira. I did the trip twice, it took 4 hours the first time and 6 hours the second, so hard to tell you exactly how long it will take.

6. Re: Bus from Medellin to Manizales - cost and duration?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, May 31, 2011