We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
currency

Hi this question has proberly been asked many times,but travelling from the uk what is the best currency to bring.We normally change our sterling into usd before we go and find this ok,however we get a bit nervous about using debit cards abroad and take lots of sterling as back up.Is it better to take sterling and change in the banks and take a few dollars to start with ??????????????????? help please.

Mags

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

whenever you change money, you lose some. so change as few times as you can. either use your atm card [which does also cost you in charges] or take sterling and change at a bank. by all means, take us$ if you have them, but don't buy them especially for your trip. if you pay using us$ you lose again in the unofficial exchange rate.

pam

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency

I took the local currency which I think is Eastern Caribean (EC) dollars which I found ok as if you pay in USA dollars the price is usually rounded up as one US dollar is worth more than the local. I changed a bit of sterling at the hotel just to keep me going until the end of the holiday. I would not recomend taking Us dollars as you will need some local currency for very small things like a bottle of water. There are plenty of ATMs but as Pam says you incur charges but at least they are safe to use. It may depend on how much you expect to use as I went all inclusive so only spent a few hundred pounds

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,440 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency

this question has been asked a million times - and is usually asked at least once a week - sometimes you just have to look back through a few posts before asking it again.

As the two posters above have pointed out - every time you change currency, you lose a little bit on the exchange.

It is far better to bring sterling and change it to EC on the island than to change back home - the exchange rate is a bit higher here. It makes no sense to change from Sterling to US to EC. If you have some US, go ahead and bring it, it is widely accepted on the island. Otherwise, bring some sterling and change it here - you can change it at the bank or at the hote, although some hotels change at a lower rate than banks for the convenience.

There is a money exchange right at the UVF airport, so you can change your sterling immediately upon arrival - all banks exchange at the same, current rate. You can check it at xe.com, an excellent currency exchange rate site.

Also, bring your ATM card if you need extra EC. As you are at Coconut Bay - if I've read your other posts correctly - you will have little need of extra cash for day to day, except perhaps to tip housekeeping or maybe sometihng to a bartender. EC works just fine for this. There are several ATMs in Vieux Fort - not positive if there is one at the hotel itself however.

For tours, etc booked through the hotel - they are charged to your room. If you book on your own, you will need cash - again, EC works fine.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

reedprincess is right. You should bring sterling and change it into EC$ on the Island. You will get a much better rate this way.There is a bank at the airport (and also an ATM)

STEVE

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency

Thanks for all the replies,i have always changed my sterling into usd before i go which as always worked for me,however with the fact everybody has recomended to take sterling and change it at the airport/banks then thats good enough,thanks again.

Mags

6. Re: currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, May 25, 2013