We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money: Cash machines, euros in advance or credit cards

Stockport
Level Contributor
162 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Money: Cash machines, euros in advance or credit cards

Hi,

What would you recommend in terms of holiday money - get the cash up front before we go, withdraw cash from ATM's when on location or use credit cards to pay for most things like meals etc???

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money: Cash machines, euros in advance or credit cards

Depends very much on what credit or debit card you have. Mine is a 'bad' card so took cash, used the card once to take €120 out and my bank charged me over £4 for the privilege.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
930 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money: Cash machines, euros in advance or credit cards

The most sensible (or safest) approach is to bring out a modest amount of Euros in cash, then use credit cards (ideally, bring more than one, so you're not stuck if there's a problem with one) for purchases such as car rental, meals and admission fees to attractions, then use your debit cards in ATMs to get out any further cash you might need. But check the fees your bank charges, for example to see the minimum amount charged on cash withdrwals (and hence the minimum amount it's worth getting out at one time).

Other people suggest you should wait and change all your money from sterling to euros at camera shops in the resorts, because you might get the odd cent extra per pound compared to back home. But is it really worth the risks?

3. Re: Money: Cash machines, euros in advance or credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 03, 2015