We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late June visit to Playa Blanca

Claygate, Surrey
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Late June visit to Playa Blanca

We're going to Playa Blanca the last week in June and first week in July. We've never been to the resort of Lanzarote and wondered what the best excursions were and if there are any good seafood restaurants worth visiting. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late June visit to Playa Blanca

There will be lots of seafood you can try....couple of recommendations by me....not an exhaustive list as so many places!

Rocamar is on sea front, excellent views of sea, beautiful fresh fish and great service. Los Hervideros is off a back street (pedestrian area, opposite taxi rank, just around the corner to a farmacia and Bar Avienda. It's a traditional Spanish place, you should book a table as it gets busy and has a good choice of Lanzarote wines too...very reasonable prices for quality food. This next one is like marmite....some love and some hate!.....Casa Pedros on sea front does the best fresh fish of the day....lots of local Spanish eat here which for me is a good sign. Some think that the waiters are surly....I don't think so...they are swift with service (a little too quick at times!) if you try speak even a little Spanish they appreciate that....personally I like it, not cheap though.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late June visit to Playa Blanca

We plan to go to El Golfo for an afternoon. There's not much there but a rugged coastline with spectacular crashing waves and some green lake thing that I missed last time and doesn't sound too impressive so not fussed if I miss that again, but the reason we're going is because they have some lovely fish restaurants over-looking the sea and we want to do lunch while we watch the waves. We visited earlier this year en route back to the airport and had already eaten so promised ourselves a seafood feast next time. Worth considering if you get the chance to go. Hire a car and you can go anywhere you fancy. Roads are great in Lanzarote, not much traffic and maintained to the highest standards - makes driving a pleasure.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late June visit to Playa Blanca

another vote for a visit to El Golfo - a tiny seaside village with nothing other than seafront seafood restaurants. Some don't een have menus - they wil just tell you what was caught that day.

In Playa Blanca, Casa Pedro (on seafront in town centre_ is good for fish but often lacks atmosphere. One of my favourite restaurants is directly above Pedro's - La Chalanita - does fantastic fish and some dishes flambeed at your table (seabass fillets flambeed in cava sauce is outstanding). Book a window table and enjoy the seaviews.

At Marina Rubicon, try Casa Brigida for seafood - I had a wonderful Cherne fish there last year - fileted tableside and is a restaurant I shall return to again next month.

In terms of excursions, and in no particular order I'd recommend: Timanfaya Natinal Park, Cesar manerique's house (fab house for the famous architect with rooms made from volcanic sub-terranean bubbles!), Cactus Gardens, Yaiza, Green Caves, Haria, El Mirador, Lagomar (the house formerly owned by Omar Sharif) and La Geria wine region. There are also catamaran trips, you could visit the Papagayo beaches and take the submarine from Puerto Calero.

In playa blanca, you can enjoy the wonderful 6 mile seafront promenade, enjoy Marina Rubicon and climb Montana Roja to enjoy panoramic views of the resort and across to Fuerteventura.

One other suggestion - hire a car. Firstly, it's often no more expensive than a return taxi fare from airport. Secondly, the roads are just fantastic - mostly new, smooth and relatively little traffic. Thirdly, it's a small island - you coudl easily see most of the main areas in 2 days. And of course you have the option of the car for your entire holiday and even if you don't use it much, it won't cost you any/much more. We use Autoriesen, colect car from airport and 30 mins later you're in Playa Blanca.

Have a great time.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
876 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late June visit to Playa Blanca

There's lots to see on the stunning island of Lanzarote. I've put some suggestions as to what to see in an earlier post - hope this helps:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…4853309

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,283 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late June visit to Playa Blanca

Janie_Belle_12

El Lago Verde (the green lagoon) is well worth looking at. Even the lava rock formations on the walk round from Los Hervideros are really interesting, as is Los Hervideros itself. El Golfo is a lovely village, and the fresh fish is fantastic. One of my favourite places for a leisurely lunch!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,283 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late June visit to Playa Blanca

I'm another who is a La Chalanita fan!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late June visit to Playa Blanca

OK, after you've said that Leyland I s'pose I will take a look at it, but have to say it takes a lot to impress me scenery wise...you're talking to someone who sniffed at Zantes blue caves..I only like stuff you can eat usually lol... so if it's just a green puddle then, you'll be for it...unless it's mint flavoured :D

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,283 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late June visit to Playa Blanca

Definitively not mint flavoured, but maybe sulphur smelling! It's not so much the scenery, which is a one off in itself, I just find the history of the island very interesting, and the lava formations fascinate me. Maybe that's the reason I love Lanza so much. It's not the weather, or the fact I'm on holiday. It's about what makes the island what it is. It's beautiful, and it's unique!

9. Re: Late June visit to Playa Blanca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca