We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

Which Playa Blanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

Hi

Just wondered what it was like for mosquitoes out there. I noticed a review for my hotel saying there were plenty of mozzies and I have a toddler with me (21 months) so not sure whether I need to get her some repellant or not.... Don't want to go putting lotions and potions on her if its unneccasary but obviously don't want to risk her been bitten either.

Just wondered what anyone else has done for there under 2's? Do I need repellant and if so what is good to get for her?

Many thanks in advance

2 more sleeps....so excited :-))

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

I've been going since I was a baby, and I've always been bitten at least once! The mosquitos over there don't carry anything nasty as far as I'm aware, so it's just itches.

I swear by Avon's Skin So Soft dry oil spray - works a treat for keeping mozzies away and it's lovely as an aftersun. It does smell a little oily though and I don't know if it would irritate baby skin. We always took these plug things which you put a blue tablet in, which somehow kept them at bay, no idea if you can still buy them! For post-bite treatment we have this little contraption which you apply to the bite and press the button and it applies a tiny electric shock which feels a little bit like getting snapped with an elastic band, which instantly eases the itching.

If she's still in a cot, one of the easiest things might be to get a mozzy net and drape it over the cot at night?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,188 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

I would visit the farmacia when you get there, and ask about suitable repellents for infants. I always buy my repellent from one, and they are very helpful.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

thanks very much for your reply

we are going thursday so may have left it a little late to purchase from Avon. i will definately buy one of them post-bite treatments..i thought they may be a fad but if they work i will get one.

daughter isn't in a cot ...she prefers to sleep inbetween me and her dad..lol. so unfortunately that rules out the mozzy net.

we do have the same plug in you described though so its good to know they do work at keeping the mozzy's at bay :-)

thanks again

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

thanks leyland ....crossed posts

i will try that if i don't see anything suitable over here

Greater London...
Level Contributor
460 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

It may vary depending on time of year, but I was there for 3 weeks in March and was not aware of anything. I would know as I react very badly to bites and carry anti histamine.

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

Hi,

I returned from PB last week and didnt encounter any mozzies at all. If there are any around i am usually their no1 target! We may have been lucky in that our appartments ( Rubimar Hotel) didnt have gardens as such. Have a great holiday - i loved it.

UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

I just buy a packet of wipes from boots (child/infant) which can be used from age 6 months and in the evenings wipe the bits that are exposed, but don't bother with anything during the day. We have a couple of plug ins fir bedrooms at night.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

I second Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray (woodland fresh fragrance) Never been bitten when I've had that on. The military swear by it too. If it can cope with insects in Afghanistan and Scotland then it can cope with anything.

9. Re: Mozzy/insect repellant for under 2 yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca