We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking up montana roja

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
190 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
walking up montana roja

Hi,

We're staying at the Natura Palace at the end of the month and I'm really keen to walk up the montana roja nearby.

Is this somewhere we can walk directly from our hotel? Is it obvious how to get up there?

I assume we don't need a guide and can just wader on up by ourselves?

Many thanks

JC.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: walking up montana roja

Climbing this extinct volcano is really worth doing, with some great views over the island and over to Lobos and Fuerteventura. No guide is necessary and I'm sure you'll be able to work out how to walk there as it's always in view, although you may have to zig-zag a bit from where you are. It's a bit further away than it looks, so the No 30 public bus might come in handy at some stage. If memory serves me, the best stop for Montana Roja is Virginia Park.

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking up montana roja

Hi HC - yes it's nice and simple... I'm actually walking it on Sunday with a group of likeminded pals.

Come out of your hotel... and head up to the dual carriageway. Cross over on the pedestrian crossing to your right. Head along the road and you'll see a track appear on your left. Head up there and zig zag through the houses up to the pylon. From there you will find the track that takes you up to the top.

Walking from Natura Palace up to the ridge... around the ridge... and back to your hotel is about 1.5 hours.

A bus won't get you any closer unfortunately.

Enjoy! xxx

Ireland
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking up montana roja

We are going to the Natura Apts this week and will follow your guidance.

Thanks for help re tapas bars and airport transfers!

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking up montana roja

Sorry JC for my typo in my earlier message. xx

You're welcome Raff - enjoy! xx

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
190 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking up montana roja

Thanks Elle, that's fantastic. I will follow your directions.

Can't wait to get to Lanzarote. Sick of this British wintery weather already!

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking up montana roja

You're welcome - enjoy your walk. Don't do it if breezy though... it's quite hairy on the ridge on the Western side when that wind picks up hon.

By the way - miserable and grey in Playa Blanca today... with a smidge of drizzle in the air. Still warm though! xxx

aberdeen
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: walking up montana roja

Disagree slightly with the excellent Elle about the bus. The No 30 is good for Montana Roja from most of Playa Blanca, including the Natura Palace (stop #16 on the bus route map). Even with a reluctant 6 year old on tow, it only took us about 20 minutes to walk from the nearest bus stop (#8) up to the summit. Others contemplating the outing from elsewhere in Playa Blanca might be interested to know that we managed the whole trip, hotel room and back, in little over two hours from the Bahia Blanca Rock hotel close to Playa Dorada over the other side of Playa Blanca.

England
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking up montana roja

This sounds interesting, we like exploring. We're coming over tomorrow and staying at the Matagorda Bay complex, how do we get to Montana Roja?

cheers,

Jim

aberdeen
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: walking up montana roja

Hope this reaches you in time. Montana Roja is the big hill on the west side of Playa Blanca (the right hand side as you come in from Las Brenas or Femes). You can't miss it by car. By bus, it looks like it's the 2 from Matagorda (assuming the Matagorda Bay complex to be there!) to Puerto del Carmen, then the 6 to Playa Blanca bus station then the 30 as above. May be a bit of a trek but is well worth it for us intrepid sorts even if you have to bus it. One good website for bus details is lanzarote.com/bus/

England
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walking up montana roja

Sounds a bit of a trek but ideal for perhaps an overcast day, we'll certainly do it.

Thanks alot.

Jim

Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca