We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Island/Tropical????

Derbyshire
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sun Island/Tropical????

Hello

I am wanting to book my honeymoon and I am a little confused?! Is the sun Island and Tropical in Playa Blanca the same hotel?? The pics look the same, or are they sister hotels? If they are sister hotels could anyone recommend which one to stay at. I would be looking AL so if anyone has stoped AL would really appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Island/Tropical????

I am sure this question came up before, as someone posted photo links to both places asking the same question and it was decided it was the same, but I cannot find the thread at the minute. Will look more when at work.

cheers

Keith

Derbyshire
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Island/Tropical????

Thank you Keith that will be most helpful. Quite confusing, also taking our 2 year old with us. So i always like to look into things.

Thanks again.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,059 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Island/Tropical????

They are seperate but Sun Hoteles describe them as '2 complexes in 1'.

sunhoteles.com/en/suntropicalisland_index.htm

There is also another complex called Sun Island but this is owned by the Primasol group and is behind the other two further inland.

Edited: 10:27 am, July 27, 2010
London
Level Contributor
86 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Island/Tropical????

I think we stayed in the Sun Tropical 5 years ago when it was the First Choice Holiday village. Can't say it was the best experience of our lives but this was probably in part due to the fact that we were there the first week they started running AI alongside HB which caused ALL sorts of problems. First Choice have now moved the Holiday Village down the road the Flamingo Beach so don't know what the status of the hotel is. I think the Sun Island was right next door and when we stayed was fenced off from the Tropical. It seemed to be very German orientated at the time. Now that First Choice have moved I guess they may have combined the two properities. Their website says 200m to the beach, must be very serious costal erosion in Playa Blanca is this is true, more like 15-20 mins walk if the "back" gate is operating. Rooms etc were fine, plenty of pools (V cold) and space, food in the buffet was just capable of sustaining human life, but this could now be better or worse, who knows.

UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Island/Tropical????

if you can afford to, stay at the Papagayo Arena or Iberostar Papagayo. Much better quality especially the food and drink.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Island/Tropical????

not long back. they may as well merge the two hotels as they basically act as one entity. tropical generally UK, island basically german. Island depends on tropical facility as it appears to be never busy enough to use its own.

therefore book tropical unless you get great deal on Island.

Dont know why people keep saying pools cold ? Fine to swim in. Maybe warmer in July ?

Some of suggested other hotels are nice but to be fair tropical comes in at decent price.

Any info ? just ask.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Island/Tropical????

not long back. they may as well merge the two hotels as they basically act as one entity. tropical generally UK, island basically german. Island depends on tropical facility as it appears to be never busy enough to use its own.

therefore book tropical unless you get great deal on Island.

Dont know why people keep saying pools cold ? Fine to swim in. Maybe warmer in July ?

Some of suggested other hotels are nice but to be fair tropical comes in at decent price.

Any info ? just ask.

Derbyshire
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Island/Tropical????

Thank you very much everyone. How long does it take to get to the nearest beach?? Looking at the prices for SC and AL at "both" hotels (island/Tropical) theres not much price dif between the 2 so thats why i was looking at AL.

Is there a bus stop near the hotel? Can anyone recommend where would be the best place to hire a car?

Thank you again for all the info it is very helpful.

Limerick, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Island/Tropical????

We stayed in the sun tropical last summer 2009. sun island is the complex next door, which is mostly aimed at couples only. sun tropical was the first choice holiday village last year. they look exactly the same, same layout etc same big pools and smaller pools but if you are all inclusive the wrist bands only work in the complex into which you are booked. taxi ride either way into playa blanca and a good 30mins walk with kids to the beach other than that fab holiday with two ten year olds

Limerick, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Island/Tropical????

We have holidayed in lanzarote 6 times at this stage (our kids are now eleven) going back again late august 2010. We have always used Cabrera Medina car hire, local spanish company, nearly always have Opel (or Vauxhal in UK), you can book it on line, very reliable cars so far and easy to drive there. Pick up the Rancho Texas maps from the reps in the airport or in your hotel reception, this gives a good guide to where to go in lanzarote. About 100euro for 3 days for car hire. the food last year in the tropical was fine. could get a bit boring but never went hungry and neither did the kids. will be a taxi ride to the beach 30mins walk approx

Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca