We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in February

England
Level Contributor
535 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in February

Hi

We have never been to Lanzarote before and are thinking of having a week in Playa Blanca for the 2nd week in February and I was wondering would it be worth packing the snorkel and flippers (these are usually used around Greece in May and August)....will the sea be too cold for such pursuits in Feb? But if it is bearable as this time of year, could anybody suggest good locations on the island as we would be hiring a car for a few days with the intention of exploring as much of the island as possible.

I've been informed that Playa Blanca would suite us best for having a quiet laid back feel to the resort with none of the pubs and disco types which can be found elsewhere on the island.

However with PB been at the bottom of the island I suspect you require to do a lot of traveling to see the rest of the island, or would one of the more central resorts tick the right boxes.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

mulch

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,217 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in February

Lanzarote is so small that no where is very far away. You can drive round the island in a few hours. The island is 60 km from north to south and

25 km from west to east. We always stay in Playa Blanca and it doesn't take long to get anywhere.

England
Level Contributor
535 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in February

Wow......thanks for the very quick reply. So location sounds good, I just need to know whether it's worth to pack the flippers or not now!!

Thanks again LeylandSunaddict

mulch

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in February

yes its easy to get around all the main roads are good with no potholes and quite well signposted, they seem to have got some EU money over the last few years and up graded relaid roads

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in February

Definitely pack your gear - the sea is incredibly clear with plenty of interesting fish and underwater lava formations to see away from the resorts and the temperature is more than bearable. We were staying just outside of Playa Blanca last week and spent most days travelling around the island AND included an element of sea swimming into 5 of our 7 days either locally to where we were visiting or back at the amazing Papagayo beaches about 15 minutes drive / half an hour walk from the edge of PB. The island roads and infrastructure are excellent and relatively quiet and the island is small so a typical day would have us exploring an attraction or two somewhere on the island in the morning, lunching out with a picnic or at a local sea-front restaurant, flopping on a nearby beach to digest and/or returning to one of the Papagayo beaches and then spending the afternoon between the sand and the sea :-)

We just took our masks and found that to be okay for us but there were others with the full monty of flippers and snorkels too. We also took our 'rubber feet' (slip on rubber shoes for walking on wet rocks etc) but there are plenty of places that don't require them as sandy beaches are plentiful on the island! We're not keen on crowds so the majority of the beaches we visited were slightly 'off-piste' and thus clothing optional (which we indulged in) but there was definitely no problem with folk wearing bathing costumes as well and some groupings of people were comprised of both clothed and unclothed folk - it's a very relaxed beach culture there. It's worth noting that we found some of the tidal pulls/swells a bit strong at times but nothing that a good swimmer couldn't deal with...

Enjoy your trip - we did!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in February

This map shows the Papagayo beaches - don't be put off that it's from a Nude Beach Guide as it has excellent information:

nude-beach-guide.com/beach/canaries/playa-pa…

We would recommend Playa del Pozo, Playa de Papagayo and (our favourite) Playa del Congrio for interesting snorkelling off the 'sandy shore with occasional lava outcrops' type and then there are many smaller, un-named, rocky shelf coves that you can walk over and settle down on in between all the beaches that would provide excellent fish sighting opportunities :-)

Edited: 5:47 am, February 02, 2010
England
Level Contributor
535 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in February

Thank you very much ragoora, there is a lot of useful and interesting information in your reply, which now makes me feel really bad that it looks as if I have missed the boat for booking to Lanzarote . I was hoping for a late deal and tried to book with our local Thomson travel agent yesterday, but there were no 7 night holidays left for the only week we can go - half term......ooops

So I think I've learnt my lesson and shall book early for our next attempt to Lanzarote, but I can assure you none of these good suggestions will go wasted as I will keep them for the future.

Thanks

mulch

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in February

Just got back, and my wife went snorkling in Playa Chico in PDC, she had all her goggles/tube but did'nt pack her flippers, due to weight, and now regrets it,

Enjoy

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling in February

I can say that I swim once a week in the sea (usually at playa quemada) and have done for months. Temperature wise it's usually 17-19 degrees. It can feel cool getting in but it's fine once you're in.

England
Level Contributor
535 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling in February

Just thought I would up date my last posting where I was thanking everybody for there suggestions regarding my question about snorkeling.......but, at that time we were told our available dates were gone as we had left it too late and I had resigned myself to having written off going this year.

However I made one last call today to Thomas Cook and bingo.......we are booked into the Iberostar Papagayo in Playa Blanc....phew!

Having looked up the reviews of this hotel on here, it does seem to be well received so no worries there.....I hope. If anybody has had recent experiences of this hotel and would like to pass them on, please do.

So, it's back to checking where these recommended swimming spots are on the map and looking up other 'must do' things during our weeks stay.

So when I wrote " I can assure you none of these good suggestions will go wasted as I will keep them for the future".........I wasn't kidding!!

Thanks again

mulch

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling in February

We parked outside the Iberostar Papagayo several times as it was one of our nearest points for joining the sea front promenade walk which is woefully slippery when wet so be careful - can't comment on the hotel interior or facilities but the location was fine and about 10-15 minutes walk along the prom (to the right) into the Rubicon Marina for restaurants/bars/shops etc and another 10-15 into the Playa Blanca resort itself. There is a small pebble/rock 'beach' about 5 minutes walk on the prom (to the left) at Las Coloradas which, whilst not particularly picturesque, would give you some great fish/rockpool interest snorkelling. To walk to the first of the Papagayo sandy beaches (aka the 'first beach') from your hotel would take maybe 30 minutes - 15 along the prom (to the left) to the Papagayo Arena hotel and another 15 minutes over the rocky headland and down to the beach. To drive it will take you 5 minutes to the entry kiosk to the national park (€3 entry fee) and then 10-15 minutes off-road driving (dirt tracks) to any of the beaches - we'd recommend heading over to the farthest beaches first and exploring your way back towards the 'first beach' on foot as they each have their own particular character and then you can then choose 'your' beach early on in your trip. There are only basic facilities at two of the beaches (a cafe/kiosk at one and toilets at another) but there is a good Hiperdino supermarket about 3 minutes walk from the hotel for you to stock up on those picnic lunches for the beaches :-)

Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca