We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrain for bike novice? Mossies?

Which Playa Blanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Terrain for bike novice? Mossies?

Hiya

My brother & I are going to be staying at Arena Papagayo in a couple of weeks. He's younger and much more sporty and energetic than I and has persuaded me that hiring bikes once or twice whilst we are there would be a good idea!

Please can anyone tell me what the route from the hotel into Playa Blanca is like? Will I need oxygen and a defribulator!? Hopefully we will be able to take a gentle pedal, suitable for a middle aged lady who has not been on a bike for 20 years, rather that a hurtle up hill and down dale which would suit my mountain biking brother.

Also, will there be any mossies about?

I'll be most grateful for any feedback.

Maggie

x

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Terrain for bike novice? Mossies?

Don't worry... the route from yur hotel into Playa Blanca is fairly flat... and a bike is probably the best way to do it too! There's a promenade that goes from your hotel, past the marina, and into the town centre - just please don't mow me down on your way! I've heard that you're not supposed to cycle down there... but people still do. If you'd prefer to take the road route - then it's still a fairly gentle route. Now if you were planning to cycle to Femes - then I WOULD laugh... and say don't bother unless you're a real fitness freak lol.

Loads of mozzies around at the moment, but then we've just had heavy rain - so it's to be expected. It should hopefully have calmed down by the time you arrive.

Have a good time!

Elle xx

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Terrain for bike novice? Mossies?

Thank you so much Ellie

I hoped that would be the case, perhaps we will hire bikes for the week. I'm glad that you have prepared me for the mossies - they eat me alive. I'll make sure i have my plug-in and cream-a-plenty.

On another thread someone said Playa Blanca had had such bad rain there was some flooding - I thought it was a joke when I saw it, is it true? If so, is that normal?! I thought that rain in the Canaries was very little, even at this time of year.

I can't wait for my holiday...and there's always a bar if it rains!

Thanks again

Maggie

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terrain for bike novice? Mossies?

You're very welcome. A good place to hire bikes is from Electrobikes by the harbour www.electrobike-lanzarote.com and they will deliver for you too. I think the pushbikes are €12 per day - but I don't know if a discount applies for the week. Roy will be able to advise you anyway. His telephone number should be on his website. Hey - you could get yourself an electric bike instead... then you won't get stuck if you run out of energy.

I get eaten alive by mozzies too... so I have every sympathy! We must just taste nice eh? All the supermarkets here sell the plugins too... so you should be fine for supplies.

Yes, we had flooding at the weekend in here in Playa Blanca. It was the worst it has been here in donkey's years! We used every towel in the house to stem the flow... but we were amongst the lucky ones. Friends of ours were in much worse states. You're right in that the Canaries (and particularly Lanzarote) see very little rain compared to other areas (aka the UK) - but when it rains here... it REALLY rains! Rumour has it that more is headed this way over the next few days... and it's raining outside as I type this - but don't worry too much. Hopefully it'll be done and dusted by the time you arrive.

Elle xx

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Terrain for bike novice? Mossies?

Elle - just realised - sorry for calling you Ellie!

Maggie

xxx

co durham
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Terrain for bike novice? Mossies?

Hi Maggie

Just read your post and comments on mossies. I used to be eaten alive and my wife was never troubled by them. I used all the usual creams, sprays and gadgets to try to stay clear. My problem was made worse by my hobby of birdwatching taking me to wet swampy areas. 4 years ago a friend recommended garlic capsules as they had worked for him. I have taken 1 a day since then and have never been bitten. I still use a spray on bare skin when in high risk areas and still carry anti histemine cream just in case but I have only used them to treat other unfortunate victims. Hope this helps for the future but it takes time to build up in your system so take care. We are going to Playa Blanca for Easter so will test my theory again.

Regards Keith

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Terrain for bike novice? Mossies?

Yes Keith - garlic is a known help in the war against those &*^%ers! We even give our dog half a garlic clove chopped into his dinner, when they're rife. Garlic capsules is probably more sensible than fresh garlic though, as it's odourless and doesn't scare people away too ;)

Maggie - don't worry hon... I've been called worse :o)

Elle xx

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Terrain for bike novice? Mossies?

Thanks Keith & Elle

I'm going to give the garlic capsules a try - but will back them up with all the other stuff as well probably, as I'm not sure if a week will be enough to get them into my system. I've always been a belt n braces kinda gal!

I have a routine with the plug in when I'm in a mozzie area - I always put one tablet on in the evening while I'm getting ready for dinner, having shut all of the windows and doors of course. Then when I come back to the room at night after dinner and a few (!) mild libations, I renew it before going to bed. That works well for the room at night, but of course doesn't keep the blighters at bay when you are out and about! God works in mysterious ways but ...mozzies??!

Maggie

x

Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca