We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menorca - weather 1st week of October

London, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Menorca - weather 1st week of October

This question is diffcult to answer I know, we are thinking of going to a rural hotel near to alai or which is near to the coast, I hope that the beaches would be warm enough to at least walk along and would like to hire a car and visit villages and coastal villages, is Menorca stripped of it's authenticity or is there still a rural and fishing village life to enjoy?

Is there enough to fill out time on cloudy (dare I say rainy days)

We have been to Majorca and Ibiza and have enjoyed the parts of the islands that are least spoilt but still retain something for the tourist i.e local restaurants etc..

Any advice would be appreciated,

18 replies to this topic
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Menorca - weather 1st week of October

Cars - see Top Question section of main island forum page - you do NOT need to use a booking agent - there are lots of good local firms and you will find lots of recommendations in the Top Q as well as some "avoid" messages.

Weather -it will be changeable but still warm enough for strolls along the beach etc. There is a top Q on weather but obviously weather is weather and as such last years info is not a reliable indication of this years

Things to do - with a car there are lots of cultural things to see from stone age settlements, Napoleonic forts British military buildings (Lord Nelsons forces spent a great deal of time there) through to the old town sections of Ciutadella, Mahon etc. Again there are Top Question links to other websites with info about the island and all the things on offer. The island is small so with a car you will be able to see all sorts of places not easy to access by bus ( although the buses are clean and cheap)

Rural hotel - again ( am getting repetitive here) there is a Top Q on those too. Which one(s) are you short listing as others may know them and be able to give a recommendation ( plusthe hotel review section of TA might help - see green banner at top of page)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Menorca - weather 1st week of October

Alaior would be an excellent choice The Majorcans and 'Ibiziaeans' wish now they had followed menorca's example -it is more authentic ,untouched by tourism than those two islands( though the have nice spots too :-) )

Weather coulld easiy be 24+ sunny first week of Oct. Sea will be 'perfect' very warm

Edited: 3:14 am, July 16, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Menorca - weather 1st week of October

Thank you for your help, we are thinking of a hotel called torralbenc (hope I've spelt it correctly) and have wondered if it will be near enough to visit villages coastal places although I realise it is rural which is part of the appeal.

London, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Menorca - weather 1st week of October

Thank you, I don't believe the hotel to be Alaior itself but near to there and call n porter I do not know what either is like?

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Menorca - weather 1st week of October

This is a very new rural hotel in the countryside just outside the resort of Cala N'Porter (the whole area being part of the municipal district of Alaior ) but it isn't very close to the town of Alaior so you would need a hire car or taxis to get about. THere is a location map on the hotels website - see torralbenc.com/en/luxury-hotel-menorca-locat… but there are reviews of it on TA at tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g652119-d4172… and also comments on this forum ( see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g673871-i12589-k… ) where the consensus is that it is nice but pricey for what it is.

If you want a luxury rural boutique hotel there are lots to chose from on the island - see the Top Question section of the main island forum page

Edited: 2:40 pm, July 20, 2013
Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Menorca - weather 1st week of October

Should you choose Torralbenc in the province of Alayor you are close to Cala en Porter and a very good restaurant called Can Bernat where we ate last night just off the main road at the roundabout to Son Vitamina. Saw the sunset and beautiful open countryside views from the terrace. Best tables are at the back.

Coastal villages as such do not really exist except perhaps Es Grau. Most villages are inland and resorts are urbanizations. Fornells was a fishing village and although quite touristy now is still definitely worth a visit.

Many people enjoy a trip to the top of Monte Toro and the countryside of the interior has rolling hills. Sa Roca is a pretty place to visit and eat.

There is enough to see and do in early October and the staff at Torralbenc will advise you. It can be a much quieter time of year on the roads. We have been very pleased with Rentacarsalgar and they give give you a discount card for petrol at BP stations. We were behind a car from Gold cars last night that had no rear lights, don't think their maintenance can be up to much.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Menorca - weather 1st week of October

Gold Cars - Noooooooooooo please do not mention them in the same breath as small local firms with good rep Dettoriofan :-o)

@ Rabbit - there are good recommendations as well as warnings on the Top Question section about car hire - in October you should have no trouble finding a good price from a NICE firm

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Menorca - weather 1st week of October

Haha just making sure no one is tempted!!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Menorca - weather 1st week of October

Too right there Dettoriofan :-o)

Unfortunately I am worried that someone else posting on the forum yesterday may be at risk of ending up with someone like them - see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187464-i494-k66… - PLH00 has booked a short hire period via Expedia - lets hope it isn't with Gold Cars ( If it is with Owners at least because their booking is for 3 days they will avoid the petrol issue nightmare)

London, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Menorca - weather 1st week of October

Thank you all for your advice however I must say the last thing I worry about is the car hire, we just usually book AVIs online and never experience problems although it may not be competitive

I am still undecided about Menorca as someone told me last night that it is very Briitish, what am I to believe

Reply to: Menorca - weather 1st week of October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted