We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Pedro de Alcantara History

Which San Pedro de Alcantara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,244 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Topic
San Pedro de Alcantara History

San Pedro de Alcantara was inhabited by the Romans as shown by the ruins of La Bovedas, and this dates to the 3rd Century AD. There was the Basilica of Vega del Mar from the 4th Century and the watch tower from the 16th century.

In 1858 General Manuel Gutierrez de la Concha, the first Marques del Duero, arrived in the municipal and started a farm and called it the Colonia Agricola de San Pedro Alcantara. The company was so named to honor his mother, Petra de Alcantara Irigoyen y de la Quintana, and San Pedro Alcantara, the saint from Extremadura that his family was devoted to.

He built a system of small dams to permit irrigation of about 10,000 hectares. He bought the latest agricultural machines from the US and Britain. He imported experienced agricultural workers from Granada, Almeria, Valencia and Murcia. He offered the workers a home and a small plot of land adjacent to the home to grow vegetables for the family. He started a school of agricultural experts, the first in Spain. He also ordered the construction of roads for communication, some of them still in use today. He constructed shipping facilities to send his sugar cane to Malaga.

The Marques constructed the town with straight streets and perpendicular streets between 1860 and 1870, with the center at the church plaza.

Unfortunately the farm could not pay for all the debts that the Marques had incurred when he started the farm and he and his daughter had to sell the farm in 1874. The farm continued functioning, growing sugar cane, until 1920.

The town built a statue to the Marques del Duero in 1995 at the town plaza. The sculptor was Santiago de Santiago.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Pedro de Alcantara History

Great information Benny, as usual. My most recent experience of San Pedro has been those dreadful roadworks that seem to have been going on forever! Hope they are finished soon!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,244 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Pedro de Alcantara History

Ceejayblue:

Yes, the road work is going on forever and is a driving nightmare. All the politicians are blaming each other and none is taking the blame.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Pedro de Alcantara History

I bet its still being finished when we come back in 2013!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,244 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Pedro de Alcantara History

Ceejablue:

I think you are right!

Bury St. Edmunds...
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Pedro de Alcantara History

Is there any real up to date "gen" on the progress(?) with the roadworks. Wev are down there next week.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Pedro de Alcantara History

I think Benny posted on another thread that the work will be complete in June this year, but going on past experience I wouldn't hold my breath! LOL!

Brighton
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Pedro de Alcantara History

..It is interesting information. Thank you for that.

However, it had to smile when I read it. "Unfortunately the farm could not pay for all the debts that the Marques had incurred when he started the farm "..

A great tradition, that is alive until today!

On another note, I would not advise tourists to gp here. It is really a place for the locals, which are quite hostile and very rude towards anybody from abraod and do not really want anybody here. The customer service everywhere leaves everything to be desired, but there are no places worth visiting anyway.

Fortunatley the sun is shining in other places too and I will not contribute anything to enable them to pay the depths they have incurred. (although our money is really the only thing Spaniards like about foreigners.....)

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Pedro de Alcantara History

Welcome to the forum Anna.

I've got to say that I've never experienced any of the things you suggest happen in San Pedro, anywhere in Spain so am surprised that you feel this way. To say that the only thing the Spanish like about foreigners is our money is really unfair and I certainly don't think that is the case for the majority of them. I have had nothing but kindness and good service, wherever I have travelled.

I have been in some very small pueblos and not one place has ever made me or other members of the party feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. In fact to the contrary we have always had a wonderful welcome. Your view of Spain is not one that the majority of people on this forum would share.

England
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Pedro de Alcantara History

Anna is entitled to her opinion, but it doesn't match mine.

San Ped is a pleasant place to while away a bit of time. There's a nice pedestrian Street, Lovely sea front and beach. plenty of Restaurants and cafes. some Roman ruins. it's a good base for exploring the wider area. Banus, Marbella and Estepona are nearby.

Maybe her next post will be more positive.

BTW............... I quite like Brighton

Quethiock, null...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: San Pedro de Alcantara History

i am staying in San Pedro for the first time , having just ravelled around from Seville to Cordoba to Granada and now here I have only found good manners, great service and friendliness. I am also amazed at the disciplined road manners . San Pedro is a pleasant little area within the urban sprawl of Marbella this week will be the Feria and Fiesta which i am sure will be great fun. Viva Espana

Edited: 1:21 pm, October 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro de Alcantara