We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Otranto vs San Foca vs Torre dell'Orso

Which Otranto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
1 post
Save Topic
Otranto vs San Foca vs Torre dell'Orso

Planning a week trip to Salento 25/5/13-1/6/13: 2 adults 4 kids. off season in Puglia. half term in UK. 10 year wedding anniversary after having got married in Lecce in 2003. :) Been to Salento area a couple of other times but generally on Gallipoli side and only staying with friends/ B&B/ hotel, never rental accomodation. Now want to rent an appartment/ villa in a nice town/ village with direct access to beach, ideally over on the other eastern side of Salento. Will probably hire a car anyway, but would rather be able to walk to beach/ shops/ restaurant. Trying to decide between Otranto, San Foca or Torre dell' Orso - or any better suggestions? Have been to Otranto a few times, but didn't notice any obvious sandy beaches within the historic centre - am i cieccho? Never been to San Foca or Torre dell Orso, but am getting reasonable quotes for accomodation there. Just not so crazy on it if total ghost town then. Would probably plump for Otranto and accept having to drive to beach. (could still walk to/ from from shops/ restaurants/ harbour). All advice welcome in English or Italian! Grazie.

Martano, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Otranto vs San Foca vs Torre dell'Orso

Hi,

I would also recommend Laghi Alimini for the sandy beaches.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Otranto vs San Foca vs Torre dell'Orso

Torre Dell'Orso beach is BEAUTIFUL .... Don't think the town would be a ghost town either, though it's obviously much smaller than Otranto so may not be quite as lively and may bea bit more limited on restaurants (though I'm prepared to be corrected)

Otranto town is nicer (nice orld town).

Torre Dell'Orso beach is amazing.

Don't know about San Foca .. sounds rude.

Cork Ireland
Level Contributor
214 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Otranto vs San Foca vs Torre dell'Orso

We loved Otranto for old town - lots of great restaurants (postings soon!) but ur right - town beach is only alright - v packed - v little room to manouvre! However we were v happy to drive 11 mins to alimini - fab big beach - carpark JUST before petrol station - spiaggia azzurra. Lots of room - n great breeze - this last wk anyway! - except for yesterday...v v hot!!

UAE
Level Contributor
95 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Otranto vs San Foca vs Torre dell'Orso

I have been going to T. Dell'Orso for 30 years. It's the only place I'll go.. :) And from there I've spent a lot of time in S. Foca and Otranto.

Otranto - is a bigger, bustling town. Beach is nothing compared to T. Dell Orso. But what I love about Otranto is it's centro storico. I love going there for strolls in the afternoons and evenings

S. Foca is a bit bigger than TdellOrso.. and has more year-round residents.

Tdell Orso is a beach town.. no centro storico..and it's a relatively quiet nightlife compared to Otranto. The beach is great and you can also drive to the scogli not far from there for a different sort of swim. And it's not far to get to other places for sagras, festas, other places to explore.. Lots of places in town are close enough to the beach to walk.

I will be there the week of Aug 18th and I can't wait!

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Otranto vs San Foca vs Torre dell'Orso

Hello!!!

Between San Foca and Torre dell'Orso I would suggest Torre dell'Orso for staying and for the beautiful beach. it's just one long beach in a bay, perfect for kids. There is a great patisserie DENTONI where you can get the most delicious croissants! And for the best pizza (ever!!) instead, try VESUVIO 3.

For going out instead, better move to San Foca (by car just 10 mins far) where are many restaurant famous for fish dishes!

Enjoy your holiday!!:)

6. Re: Otranto vs San Foca vs Torre dell'Orso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:06 pm, May 20, 2013
7. Re: Otranto vs San Foca vs Torre dell'Orso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Otranto