We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time allotment

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Time allotment

My plan is to leave Clifden early, travel the Doo Lough Pass through Louisburgh, stop in Westport, explore Achill Island, and arrive in Sligo that evening. Doable or am I biting off more than I can chew?

7 replies to this topic
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time allotment

Ooooh. . . . I think that's rather too much driving for 1 day. We stayed just outside Louisburgh and spent a whole day driving to Achill, touring the Island and returning to Louisburgh. I think you're looking at 8+hrs of driving alone, which won't leave much time to stop and eat or look at anything.

Have you come across the aa routeplanner? You can plot a route, including "via" points and it will show you the route on a map, and includes directions. It also gives an estimated drive time, but if you're unfamiliar with the roads, you may find that any given journey could take up to 20% longer :

http://www.theaa.ie/routes/#

If you have the time, I would suggest driving from Clifden via the Doo Lough Valley to Westport and spend the afternoon in Westport. Following day, drive out to Achill Island, then continue to Sligo - even this will be a fairly long day in the car.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time allotment

I thought my plan was a bit too ambitious and truly appreciate your response. I think the Westport overnight makes sense, one that I considered, and will probably adhere to. I agree - the AA route finder is a wonderful tool. Thanks again!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time allotment

Pleased to help!

Westport is an attractive little town and would be a pleasant place to stop for the night. As you drive from Louisburgh towards Westport, you'll pass by or near several sights on the Clew Bay Trail; some of them are fascinating and quite unusual:

http://www.clewbaytrail.com/index.php

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

Highlights for me on Achill were Keem Strand - gorgeous beach; the deserted village - haunting in the mist :

flickr.com/photos/…

We drove through the Doo Lough Valley 3 times - and each time it rained! It was also fairly damp the day we visited Achill, but it added to the atmosphere!

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time allotment

If you are not already familiar with the Doolough tragedy, it will add some poignancy to your day if you read about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolough_Tragedy

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time allotment

I have amended my plans. Depart Clifden via Doo Lough Pass/Louisburgh to arrive at Westport for first of two overnights. Next day will be spent exploring Achill Island before returning to Westport for overnight two. Thanks to all for such great advice.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time allotment

Westport is a great choice for a two night stay, I don't think you will regret it.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time allotment

Achill Island is one of our favourite places and could easily spend a fortnight there just to chill out. My advice if you are planning to do Achill as part of a day trip then not to bother if it is raining because you will not enjoy it.

Reply to: Time allotment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Achill Island