We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reit im Winkl as base

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Reit im Winkl as base

Hello,

I'll be in the Bavaria region during the christmas period and is thinking of making Reit im Winkl a base to explore the nearby Bavaria & Salzburg area. What I really have in mind as activities is perhaps some winter hiking in the morning, and then catch a train to any nearby areas where i'll then spend the day before returning to R.i.M to spend the night in a quiet village.

Can anyone advise me on whether this is an okay plan, or will there be problems that i don't forsee? I plan on staying in an apartment where i can cook my own food (if i want to).

Many thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,539 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reit im Winkl as base

Reit im Winkl is not a good base if you want to use public transport. 65 minutes by bus to the next train station (Prien). Which would be a suitable base.

http://www.tourismus.prien.de/en/

Or more Alpine e.g. Bad Reichenhall or Berchtesgaden or one of the villages on this train line.

Edited: 3:17 am, October 16, 2013
Chieming, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reit im Winkl as base

Reit im Winkl is a lovely village, but there is no train station. The next is Ruhpolding (local train station with connection to Traunstein at the main line Munich-Salzburg).

If you want to stay directly between the mountains in a rather quiet village I suggest Ruhpolding. Within less of an hour you are in Salzburg, Prien (Chiemsee lake) and Bad Reichenhall by train.

In Ruhpolding there are many very loveley Langlauf-tracks (I don´t know the word, cross-country skiing?) and in the most winters there is enough snow to use them

Edited: 3:26 am, October 16, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reit im Winkl as base

Thanks guys. Most valuable info indeed. We're not much of winter sports people. Just like to hike so a quiet place with hiking tracks would be fantastic.

Public transport is the most important factor because that's what I'll be using, and I'll be doing plenty of day trips.

Given the above, would it be the recommended places above? Or is there an even more appropriate base?

Many thanks again. I really appreciate the replies.

Reply to: Reit im Winkl as base
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Reit im Winkl
Recent Conversations