We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch to Wanaka..scenic driving/skiing trip Sept 2014

Which Lake Tekapo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch to Wanaka..scenic driving/skiing trip Sept 2014

Hi ...our family will be in the Pleasant Point/Geraldine/Lake Tekapo/Wanaka area for 2 weeks... driving in September from Christchurch to Pleasant Point to Lake Tekapo then on to Wanaka, and return

Which would be the most scenic route to take, and what are some of the geographic/NZ highlights not to miss

many thanks

appreciated Kate

kate

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch to Wanaka..scenic driving/skiing trip Sept 2014

Welcome to the forum Kate :)

I hope you plan to visit Aoraki/Mt Cook enroute to Wanaka - it is a great drive and it would be my choice for an overnight stay - being far more scenic than Tekapo.

How are you planning to get back to Chch? You could drive back the same way through the Lindis Pass - or head over to Dunedin for a couple of nights before zooming up to Chch - or take a few days driving up the West Coast with nights in Franz Josef and Punakaiki before taking Arthur's Pass to Chch.

Use this to play around with routes - http://maps.aa.co.nz/#directions

happy planning :)

Edited: 6:03 pm, April 24, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch to Wanaka..scenic driving/skiing trip Sept 2014

Hi

Thanks so much for your kind reply

My sister use to live in the beautiful sth island at peel forest and we have visited many times in previous years.. Nelson pelorus Dunedin and Milford areas but not Peel Forest/Geraldine area.

So this trip we decided to exclusively focus on CChurch to Wanaka...via lake Tekapo area

Yes we do plan to day visit Aoraki as we are lucky to be able to stay enroute to wanaka both ways At the gorgeous luxury Centre Hill farmstay Pleasant Point near Timaru.

My teenage aon wants to raft on the Rangitata River

Any ideas around the wanaka tekapo atea would be fantastic

Thankyou kate

3. Re: Christchurch to Wanaka..scenic driving/skiing trip Sept 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, November 15, 2015