We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Intercontinental--transportation/activityquestion

Kenosha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Intercontinental--transportation/activityquestion

I will be staying without a car at the Intercontinental at the end of February and am wondering about public transportation to restaurants (please recommend a seafood place), beaches (or is the beach there great?), and other areas of interest. Also, I was interested in whale watching. Will I need to take a cab to everything? What about Old San Juan?

Jersey
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Intercontinental--transportation/activityquestion

Hi Selkie,

The Intercontinental is on the best beach in the San Juan area. There are better beaches but you would have to rent a car or take a tour to get there.

As far as restaurants, there are a variety of places you can eat just walking distance from your hotel, my favorite is the Metropol which is a few blocks away from your hotel. Also, you should consider eating in Condado and Old San Juan which are short taxi drives away.

Good Luck.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Intercontinental--transportation/activityquestion

One of the best places for whale watching is at Rincon Lighthouse - but this is on the west coast and the only real way there from San Juan is by rental car.

You might be able to get a private tour driver to take you, but this would not be cheap.

Unfortunately inter-island travel by public transport is not feasible.

Maybe if they had a train that circled the island with decent public bus services at some of the tourist destinations, then more people would venture further around the island, rather than just staying in and around OSJ

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Intercontinental--transportation/activityquestion

Selkie211, PR is not a small island. Metro San Juan is over a million people. Driving from San Juan to Rincon would be like you going to Madison on back roads. Takes a bit.

4. Re: Staying at Intercontinental--transportation/activityquestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, September 20, 2009