We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest/cheapest route from Calais Tunnel to L'Estartit

Which L'Estartit hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northamptonshire
9 posts
Save Topic
Quickest/cheapest route from Calais Tunnel to L'Estartit

Hi

We are travelling down in a motorhome to L'Estartit and does anyone know the best route to take, avoiding tolls if possible? We arrive in Calais at approximately 11.30 pm and would like to get a little way out of the area before we stop. Unfortunately we only have 2 full days to get to L'Estartit, picking up children at Girona Airport. This all takes place at the beginning of August. Any ideas on the quickest and cheapest route to take or any alternative routes. All suggestions gratefully received.

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest/cheapest route from Calais Tunnel to L'Estartit

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk

I would just try viamichelin.co.uk.

it is a loooong drive - and even breaking it up with one night's stop is going to be tiring. We drove down from Calais to Carcassonne last year -which is actually not far off -but we broke our journey with two overnight stops - Rouen and Limoges.

Best thing to do is play with the maps -and see how best you can time it. The tolls may cost a bit, but I found it was well worth it to be able to drive at the higher speed.

HTH

Northamptonshire
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest/cheapest route from Calais Tunnel to L'Estartit

Thanks, will take your advice and study the maps well and try and sort out the best route.

Cheers.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest/cheapest route from Calais Tunnel to L'Estartit

We've driven this route a few times however the last time was 2006 as we now fly.

We found the best route to avoid tolls (im not sure of the road names so will state towns) was via Abbeville, Rouen, Evreux, Chartres then pick up the toll motorway at Orlean to Clermont Ferrand. After Clermont Ferrand it is toll free until Milau Bridge then goes toll free again until the Montpellier/Beziers area. We chose this route after taking a wrong turn around Paris on our first drive to Spain and getting horribly lost.

We used to do just one overnight in Bourges or Clermont Ferrand to break up the journey. It is a long tiring journey but very doable in two days in my opinion.

Viamichelin or aa routeplanner are good tools for planning out the journey.

Alcester, United...
Level Contributor
487 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest/cheapest route from Calais Tunnel to L'Estartit

Having done this drive many times -I personally would not avoid the toll roads - they are generally less busy than others. It is a long drive to do in the time you have. We generally come across on a similar crossing - arriving late at night. We normally drive for a couple of hours and pull over on a service station. An early start the next day - down to Dijon (just passed if possible) - again often stay on a service station here (you are ok in the north of the country - would avoid staying on the motorway in the south - problems with stealing etc). Another long day should see you in the south of France - we often pull into a municipal campsite - see how we are getting on. We then get up the next day and can arrive near L'Estartit for a late lunch.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickest/cheapest route from Calais Tunnel to L'Estartit

I just got back today. fill your tank up before you arrive in France. Make sure you have a sat nav with Europe maps. Drive economically through France and we stopped off at Clemond Ferrond at the Campanille (30 euros, with breakfast). (book it in advance and you get a good rate). next morning fill your tank up in the town. only 2 round abouts. drive all the way to spain next day. we used a full tank for the journey. Tolls are the best way. just don't boot it down. petrol is expensive on the road down but keep in towns in France. 1.65. were as spain is 1.3euros

london/playa de pals
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickest/cheapest route from Calais Tunnel to L'Estartit

I agree with me881,that is the route we take twice a year,we stay in Bourges,Chatelguyon or St Flor.We travel with 3 children and don't find it that arduous or tiring,it's about 6 hours a day,we make it part of the holiday,stop before nightfall so we can have a stroll around before a nice meal!!!

7. Re: Quickest/cheapest route from Calais Tunnel to L'Estartit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 17, 2013