We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1)Train from Rome to Pienza? 2) Car rental in Pienza?

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1)Train from Rome to Pienza? 2) Car rental in Pienza?

We are planning a trip starting Rome to Pienza area so we can visit the famous montecino, montepulciano vineyards, then Cinque Terre, then on to Florence. We're trying to make an efficient line of travel. I can't tell if the train from Rome goes to Pienza. Once we get there is there car rental in Pienza to visit the surrounding vineyards. Then from there I'd like to continue by train to Cinque Terre. Does anyone know about the availability of car rentals in Pienza, then train travel up the coast from there?

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Labrador City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 1)Train from Rome to Pienza? 2) Car rental in Pienza?

We did the exact trip you describe last year (2012).

We took the train from Rome to Chiusi, rented a car in Chiusi (there are numerous car rental agencies there including Avis, Budget and Europcar - we arranged our car before leaving Canada, very easy when we got there).

We returned our car to Chiusi and took the train to Florence where we stayed for 4 days, then onto Cinque Terre by train. I would think you could return the car in Pisa or Florence instead and take the train into Cinque Terre.

I would not recommend paying to have a car in Cinque Terre as it is an unnecessary expense - the trains provide access between towns and is far easier than driving between them; driving in the towns is restricted and I can't imagine parking would be easy to find.

The routes between towns run higher up in the hills - you would be wasting time that could easily be avoided by taking trains.

Mentioned in this post
Chiusi
Chiusi
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 1)Train from Rome to Pienza? 2) Car rental in Pienza?

Vicki,

I am planning a similar trip for next spring. Since you have obviously done your research for you're upcoming trip; I'm curious about your decision of where you will get your rental car.

Have you found there is some advantage (price?) to taking the train such a short distance (to Chiusi or Siena) to pick up your rental? Why not just rent the car in Rome and be on your way to Pienza (and the other places of interest in that area)?? Would love to have your input. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Chiusi
Chiusi
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,867 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 1)Train from Rome to Pienza? 2) Car rental in Pienza?

In response to Chris (above), despite my earlier comment, if it were me (as it was, every year for many years before we moved here), I would pick up the car at Rome and drive. Others will confirm that rates and range of vehicles available is better in Rome, especially Fiumicino airport, than it is elsewhere plus there's no hassle of lugging bags onto trains, and that is a pain no matter how brave a face travellers may put on it. It's an easy drive, it's a very beautiful drive, as I've posted numerous times before (based on doing both the drive and the train quite regularly) somehow the scenery just looks that much more beautiful from the car than it does from the carriage of the train. And it is a very lovely drive, no question. You have the freedom to stop where and when you want (Orvieto anyone?), and you can do it at your own pace. You can even cut cross country and take in even more pretty little villages and scenic lanes. The drive up from Rome makes a lot of sense to me.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 1)Train from Rome to Pienza? 2) Car rental in Pienza?

lastraniera: Thank you for responding and for the information. You mentioned that you've made numerous other posts - I plan to read your other posts; I'm sure I will find additional information that will be helpful in my planning. Thank you.

15. Re: 1)Train from Rome to Pienza? 2) Car rental in Pienza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 11, 2014