We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday in Pienza

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Birthday in Pienza

My beautiful son is flying me to Tuscany in June. We will be in Pienza for my birthday. I am having trouble finding somewhere nice to stay thats not too expensive, I would like to stay somewhere and experience a real Tuscan stay. Also somewhere nice for dinner?????

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Birthday in Pienza

I actually found dropping off a car in Chiusi and taking the train to Rome to be quite easy and a good plan!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,781 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Birthday in Pienza

But it's such an easy and very lovely drive to FCO especially if you allow time to drop by Orvieto on the way. I so agree with Lynn re Chiusi for I know I wouldn't want to drag my bags out of the trunk, carry them over to the station (assuming I were hiring them from Aesse or Hertz - Avis will give you a ride into town, Europcar is another story). Once at the station, carry them all the way down the stairs and up again over to the Rome platform (for that lift thing is never working), wait for almost guaranteed late arrival of train (assuming it hasn't been cancelled), somehow lift bags up very steep steps into train, try to find somewhere safe to store baggage when all the best spots will have been taken by people getting on earlier up the line such as Florence or Arezzo, train will then shunt off out of station only to spend the next couple of hours (or more) quietly grinding to a halt every ten minutes in the middle of nowhere in addition to the scheduled stops. After my 40 minutes sitting in a siding outside Allerona on the hottest day of the summer last year without the airconditioning, I now always drive to Rome, even when going into the city centre. It's easier and, if there's more than one of you in the car, cheaper - even taking into account the fact that we now have Europe's most expensive gas prices in Italy.

13. Re: Birthday in Pienza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, May 04, 2013