We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

We're wanting to travel from Sorrento to Pienza, most of it by train. We want to hire a car to use for our week in Tuscany. Where would be best to pick up and drive a car from, Siena and drive down to Pienza or Orvieto and drive up?

Secondly is it cheaper for us as New Zealanders to hire a car via internet before we leave (April) or is it cheaper on the ground in italy?

Thanks

Carolyn

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

You would do better to pick up your car from Orvieto or Chiusi, as they are on the main line north from Rome, whereas Siena is on a branch.

You will get much better prices if you book in advance. If you leave it until you get there, you could find there is no car available. Australians can often get good prices by booking in advance with one of the major companies, but I don't know if this applies to Kiwis. Check out

www.europcar.it

www.hertz.it

www.avisautonoleggio.it

www.autoeurope.com

www.auto-europe.co.uk

Edited: 8:52 pm, March 06, 2010
New Zealand
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

Great we'll check that our - thanks.

Could you tell me how long it will take to drive from Orvieto to Pienza?

Will this mean travelling on the autostrada? This is our first driving experience on the other side of the road!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

You never *have* to use an autostrada in Italy: there is always an alternative ordinary road. If you use the A1 autostrada most of the way, Orvieto to Pienza is about 80 km and would take about an hour. If you cut west to the SS2 main road, it's 75 km and would take about 1h20.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

Thanks again.

Can you link me to a site that will give me travelling times/distances from town to town - that would be very helpful enabling us to work out how far we might travel comfortably in a day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

Sorry, I meant to give that in my previous post. You can get driving directions, rather optimistic times, and estimated costs (fuel and tolls) from www.viamichelin.com

6. Re: Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:09 am, March 08, 2010
memphis
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

Recently flew into FCO and drove up through Orvieto on the A1. Easy drive (even on the otherside of the road). You can also get approximate times from Google Maps. Strongly recommend a GPS of some kind or at least plot the points on a map site and print the directions. In my case, Google Maps had an interface to the GPS we used so the points could be down loaded.

I agree that Chuisi is the best option for Train to car change over. In fact, I took the express from Chuisi back to Rome and left the car with my fellow travelers.

Are you renting a house in Pienza? The local COOP (market) is ok but there is a larger COOP in the next town over San Quirico d'Orcia.

Edited: 2:59 pm, March 12, 2010
New Zealand
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

Thanks - yes we are using a B & B for a week in Pienza and want to do day trips through tuscany/umbria. Will definitely go with the GPS - will help eliminate the stress factor I think!

Any itinerary suggestions of do-able day trips?

Like it is totally practical to go to Gubbio and back as a day trip?

What about Assisi & Gubbio in a day - is that too much?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

I suggest you use the ViaMichelin site to check the practicality of various day trips.

memphis
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento to Pienza - car hire in Sienna?

We day tripped to Monteputlciano, Siena, Arezzo, Montevarchi and several wineries. The cities were all near the A1 and we easily traveled at 120k per hour most of the time on the A1.

Assisi and Gubbio will depend on how long you want to be in the car. We did a cooking class outside of Assisi. I would not try both in one day unless you plan to have dinner one place or the other.

Again, check Google Maps, Michelin, and/or your GPS planner because the roads will be slower going east/west.