We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

Back in boring Denmark. Oh, how I wish I could rush back to Samos ! Will certainly do next summer - and then for 2 weeks !

Hope you'll enjoy the pics. Samos really really is Paradise on Earth.

www.myparisadventures.dk/20942/Samos%202010

London
Level Contributor
445 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

Thank you so much for a very detailed and amusing story of your holiday to Pythagorio - we have just booked for 2011 and are so looking forward to it - had to do it after becoming addicted to Thassos and being tempted to rebook there - so, it's done now and I will study your post again later and note down places to look out for next year - again, many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post in such detail.

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

Thanks, shepre - perhaps we'll meet ! I am certainly going back in Summer 2011.

I am afraid that my diaries really don't contain all that much advice about what to see and do - because apart from one bustrip to Kokkari, I didn't really do anything !!!

Next year I have plans to be a good, diligent, exploring tourist !! That's why I intend to go for 2 weeks....... 1½ weeks of dawdling, snoozing in armchairs and paddling around in the gorgeous crystal clear water + ½ week for exploring !

LOL :0)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

Thanks for the fun and informative report.

Karen

london
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

love your blog, Gitte, very entertaining and lovely photos. think I shall be re-reading for a small samos fix every now and then! your piece about Meryem Ana i particularly liked, very evocative and a place I would like to viist although I have never heard of it before - don't know if I could bear the rest of the trip though, it sounded a little -er - arduous! perhaps a spring or autumn trip to Ephesus would be less taxing ...

uk
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

Fantastic report gittek loved your diaries brilliant

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

Thanks for the kind comments ! I love writing stories about travel experiences and hopefully inspire others.

surrey
Level Contributor
39 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

Well you have inspired me. I was thinking about going to Samos for a week at the end of August with my husband and 5 year old son. So I thought I would trawl the internet for some info and I came across this post and, from there, your blog. It is great and the pictures are beautiful. I have imagined my son on the beach, me with my 'fb' and my husband 'dad' dancing with the captain. I am off to book right now !!

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

scottishannie, you will adore it !! Make sure you stay in Pythagorion. You will love all the people there. I didn't have time to do much exploring in Samos Town, but it was too big and "city-like" for my taste (says a woman who has spent all her vacations in Paris, since before Noah........)

Make sure you send my regards and big hugs to

* Captain Jiannis and Elisabeth (the most loveable couple ever)

* Guiletta the goat kiddie and her new baby brother

* Afrodite at Pythagoras Internet Café (stunning Greek goddess)

* Sanna at Gregory's Bar (tall, blonde, laughing Finn)

* Gregory (Sanna's cute husband, works the night shifts)

* Henning and Pernille at "Poseidon" on Remataki beach

Edited: 11:38 am, July 28, 2010
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

So glad you enjoyed yourself Gitte. I did keep looking out for you in the first week in July. The cocktails in Pythagorio were just as good as we remembered!

Really enjoyed reading the diaries - your trip to Kusadasi and Ephasus seemed to offer a lot more than the usual tourist excursions. They usually consist of a trip to Ephesus, hard sell at the rug factory and time in the market.

Can you remember who you booked with and whether it was an English speaking guide? I am hoping to go back at the end of September/early October as Davesbak said the weather was still good!

Stroud, England
Level Contributor
61 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tripreports and photos from a week in Pythagorion

Hi Gitte,

Really enjoyed reading your report - all the more so because I am now in Samos (in Pythagorion - where we last stayed in 2000 - the Year of the Fires).

I have to take issue with you over a couple of things.....

Bread - there is some absolutely superb bread to be had - there is also some very bad!. The main thing is that it tends to be slightly sweeter and less salty than northern european bread. But there is a huge variety - I particluarly like the yellow cornmeal bread and the very dark brown malt bread. There are at least two craft bakers in Pythogorion - the fancy one just up hill from where the port road meets the Vathi road, and another near the square with the statue of Pythagoras.

However, as peoples tastes differ we may not agree!

The second is about reluctance to hire a car. You can not really get the full benefits of the island without one - and although some roads are rough and pitted - very, very pitted! - if you drive carefully it is not a problem. Even in high season the roads are very quiet, and if you meet a bus, it won't force you off the road.....!

To back this up, we went to pick up a hire car last Thursday. I have driven in lots of different countries, and on many of the Greek islands, and previous experience in Samos meant I wasn't really concerned, even though I would be driving on the wrong side of the road in a car where the controls are in the wrong places - you would not have that problem. Unfortunately things did not go quite to plan, and literaly on the way to pick up the car I broke my ankle.......this meant that we had two options - either give the car up or change the insurance so my wife could drive. Now, my wife has never driven abroad before, and never driven a car where the controls are the wrong way round. And if she can do it (and she can - we have done about 170km with her at the wheel) so can you!

So take your courage in your hands and get mobile - it is worth it.

(And one day I might post my experiences of the Greek A&E service!)

Get answers to your questions about Pythagorion
Recent Conversations