We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel cash cards

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
travel cash cards

Debating wether or not to take a travel cash card to Lassi at the end of July. Do the restaurants, bars & shops accept them? Are they better value (no commission) than travellers cheques?

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
400 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel cash cards

Hi Waneocnnll,

We were in this situation a couple of years ago and now again this year but have decided against it. We are taking some Euros and will just get cash out of the hole in the wall either in Lassi (if it's working) or there are numerous cash points in Argostoli that we used last time..... I was in favour of the cash card but for example if you are in a bar and just one or two drinks didn't really see the point and I'm not sure if many of the bars and restaurants accept them anyway. Maybe someone can correct me on this.... Anyhow, it's just as easy to get the money out of the wall when needed. We are with Nationwide Building Society so the charges were nothing last time but will be minimal this time.

Hope this helps

Happy Holidays !

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel cash cards

If there is now,or likely to be a problem in Greece in future drawing euros in cash from ATMs then these pre-loaded cards are not an answer.If you don't have a UK bank debit card or prefer to keep your holiday spends separate from your current account then they are excellent.

You are unlikely to be left high and dry by unfilled ATMs in Lassi,even less so in Argostoli.But in more remote resorts that have only one or two ATMs (and no bank branch) it would be unwise to be totally reliant on ATMs.

Many petrol stations are not accepting cards and I have read on here some restaurants and bars similarly.

Last month in Skala I took my debit card but most of my spends in euros cash and used the room safe diligently only taking out 100 euros at a time.If I was going again soon (I wish!) I would do exactly the same.

Doncaster
Destination Expert
for Lassi
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel cash cards

Hi!

Some pre-loaded cards do not charge for cash withdrawals abroad (eg Caxtonfx), so they are a good idea if you want to avoid the charges that you only see when you receive your statement.

I plan to use mine in ATMs rather than pay restaurant bills etc.

Don't worry about carrying cash in Lassi. However, take the precaution of spreading your money around various pockets etc.

You are more likely to drop your wallet than have it lifted.

Colin

Great Malvern...
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel cash cards

I had a thomas cook pre loaded card last year this perticular one had a master card symbol on it and had no problem using it any of the petrol stations and the restaurents in lassi. I think they would complane if you tried to use it to pay for a small bill like a couple of drinks so a mixture of the pre loaded card and small amount of cash would be ok. As colin said walking around lassi with cash never a problem. The ATM in lassi does regulally run out of money but there are plently in argostoli.

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel cash cards

Thanks all, I have decided to give the card a whirl this year - the Travelex card does not charge for ATM withdrawl & promises the best rates - so here's hoping I don't end up busking!!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel cash cards

Ive used a cashport card for 4 years know i got it from tesco no problems anywhere including greece and cyprus

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel cash cards

cash passport

8. Re: travel cash cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Lassi