We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mossies

Which Lassi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, England
Level Contributor
400 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Mossies

Does Greece/Lassi suffer badly from mossies at night.

We have been going to Turkey for many many years and mossies are a real problem over there and I just wondered if Greece was the same.

If so, is there any local repellant that you can recommend we use. We always used the local stuff in Turkey which worked a treat and we feel the stuff you get over here and take with you doesn't work as effectively as the local stuff.

Thanks all

manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mossies

ask at the supermarket or tom at gabiano bar in lassi for the best one .they no best.there are plenty of mozzies just waiting for you !!.the roll on type is the best .

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mossies

Greece & Turkey are pretty much the same when it comes to mozzies, I think. The usual precautions apply.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mossies

Hi there

It does depend to an extent on the time of year. Mozzies are a problem on really hot, humid evenings in late June through to August when it might still be 25c or even higher at 7-8pm. The problem diminishes somewhat either side of these months although there are always some waiting to take a crafty nibble and of course, some folk seem to attract them more than others.

We always used "Buzz Off", an aerosol treatment available from Boots and Superdrug, safe to use all over including your face. Tie that in with the plug ins for your apartment and there's not much more you can do.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mossies

I also find that aftersun with mosquito repellent helps (Soltan do one), and antihistamines will help to reduce the swelling from any bites you do receive.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mossies

I'm really bad with mossies but have been using Ben 100 for about 5 years now and nothing beats it - you can only buy it online but its not expensive roughly about £5. Also you can use Citranella essential oil and don't forget to put in insect repellent plugs at night.

Lancs
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mossies

We have always used repellent and slept with the windows open. We have rarely been bitten but this is our first time in Kefalonia and after reading this thread I'm getting a bit panicked as we are going in July!

This may be a really stupid question but If we use the plug ins do you have to close the windows? I really struggle sleeping with windows closed. Please will someone answer my probably daft question?

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mossies

Hi...It isn't a daft question . You leave an escape route for the mozzies as they hate the smell of plug-ins. I always open windows but close shutters. ( They seem to find their way out of them OK) :O) :O)

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mossies

A lot of locals use mosquito nets in the heat of midsummer so they can leave the windows open.

Lancs
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mossies

Right, that's the recipe!

- repellent

- plug ins

-antihistamines (topical and tabs)

- loads of net !!!!!!!!!!!

Tenterden, United...