We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malia vs Stalis

11 posts
Save Topic
Malia vs Stalis

Hi all,

I have been monitoring the Malia forums and there have been massive complaints about beer prices...5 euro a pint :( . Please tell me that Stalis hasn't done the same.

1 more day till Stalis :)

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malia vs Stalis

No you will be fine in Stalis, its the clubs mainly in Malia that are charging them prices.

2. Re: Malia vs Stalis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:37 am, December 16, 2017
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malia vs Stalis

Hi Charles B

You honestly cannot compare Malia and Stalis - they are absolutely poles apart even though they are next door to each other.

A large beer in Stalis can be had for 1,60 euros, although at most bars it's around 2 euros. A spirit and mixer (eg. vodka and coke) is around 3,50 - 3,80 euros. Cocktails start at about 5 euros for the basics.

The increased prices in Malia are most likely an attempt to cut the number of fights, the amount of work for paramedics and police and the volume of sick on the streets. Unfortunately, all I believe it will do is increase the sales of alcohol in supermarkets, as people will just get absolutely plastered before they even leave their apartment, so they only have to spend a minimal amount when they go out.

Cass

11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malia vs Stalis

Thanks everyone for their rrsponses , very helpful. 24 hours to go ...

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malia vs Stalis

Stalis is nothing like Malia. We went yesterday just to say we had been and counted our lucky stars that we weren't staying there. It's a fast fooder/bar crawlers paradise. The mopeds and quads almost kill you EVEN when you are on the pavements. My husband son and I walked up to Malia old town which is like being somewhere else. If you are over 25 avoid Malia.

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malia vs Stalis

im told that stalis will be putting up there prices by a whopping 17% as part of the new bailout bars and hotels will have to charge 30% VAT on all food and drinks

the prices will go up at the start of september 2015

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malia vs Stalis

Davewal01 , don't know where you get your info.

The whole of Crete is changing due to the bailout agreement.

Drink was already at 23% and stayed there, food in a taverna was 13% and is now 23% and staying there, food for take away and delivery is 13%.

Hotels were sat at 6.5% which went down to 6% but will increase to on 30th sept to 13%(room only).

If you are being told different then you should try Sissi a few miles away as we have already been informed by our hotel that there will be no increase in 2016, and Sissi doesn't have beach sellers as in your other post.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malia vs Stalis

Unless this is something new within the last couple of days, that's not the true state of play.

In restaurants, food and drink is now rated at 23% VAT - before a couple of weeks ago it was just drink, and food was 13%. So it would be reasonable to expect an increase in food prices of around 9% - so maybe just under €1 per person per meal. People are reporting that there haven't been any price rises - so far at least.

Hotels raise VAT from autumn - not 30% though!

The Aegean islands have so far been subject to a rate of VAT 30% lower than the mainland and other islands, including Crete. This will stop in October for Mykonos and Santorini, and 2016 for the others. Id doesn't affect Crete, and it doesn't mean prices will rise by 30% - it was a reduction of 30% from the original rates, so prices will (or should) rise by about 8% in those islands.

Hopefully if there are inaccuracies in what I've said then people will correct, but I think that's about the current state of play.

Edited: 12:15 pm, August 01, 2015
9. Re: Malia vs Stalis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:52 am, December 16, 2017
Edited: 7:52 am, December 16, 2017
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malia vs Stalis

Just coming in to stir the s**t. He clearly is just looking to wind people up.

Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations