We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wondering if a few things are still there

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Wondering if a few things are still there

Hi everyone

I've been to Stalis 3 times before when I was younger but I haven been for about 10 years, about 15 of my family are going in July to celebrate various birthdays and anniversaries that are coming up and I have a few questions about places I remember

- Is the Volcano bar still there? twas on the beach side up at the east end of town?

- Is the video game arcade still there in the middle of town opposite Dianomeas? I literally spent my entire holiday in there when I was 14

-Im right in thinking the rooftop restaurant above Marias is no longer there?

-Is Star Beach still worth going to as a small water park? I hear it has become more of outdoor party venue for the Malia lot but when I last went it was a nice little water park to spend the day at.

Also last but not least. Whats the best way to get into Malia from Stalis, my GF and I will be going for a party there one night with a few of the younger people and just wondered if its worth getting a taxi or if that little train still runs.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
800 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wondering if a few things are still there

An interesting set of questions. i will do my best to answer them.

I have certainly not heard of or ever seen the Volcano Bar. I therefore assume it no longer exists, to my knowledge. If you could be more specific as to location, someone may know what happened to it.

There is certainly an arcade somewhere in the central area of Stalis. I can't quite pinpoint it to being opposite to the Dianomeas Restaurant (never been in there as it is not my thing!), but it is on that side of the beach road. Maybe it is the one you remember or, if not, there is one not far away.

If by Marias you mean Maria's Golden Beach restaurant, then you are correct, the rooftop restaurant above has been closed for some years now.

Star Beach is visited by a mix of people. You are right, it is popular with the 18-30 Malia crowd, but families also go there. If you really like waterparks then it is worth it - easy to get to from Stalis with a bus stop (no. 24) right outside the entrance. I think the trick is to go early in the day as most of the 18-30 crowd are likely to still be sleeping off their hangovers in their beds back in Malia in the morning!

The Happy Train is still very much up and running you'll be pleased to hear! And it does run between Stalis and Malia along the beach road. If I was going to party in Malia one night (I'm not, as i'm a bit too old now for a night on "the strip"!), I'd take the bus there (which runs til late in the evening along the main road) and then a taxi back in the small hours once you've done with your partying.

Hope this helps answer your questions and have a good holiday.

Edited: 6:52 pm, February 10, 2014
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,450 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wondering if a few things are still there

Re Star beach, it attracts all sorts of people from young singles to families. There are lots of activities there - from gokarting, paintballing, traditional watersports etc., and they have dance parties (admission not free) I think usually on Thursdays, which sometimes attract known DJs.

Entrance to the pool/bar/stage area is free, but you have to pay for sunbeds. Bar prices are OK for what it is. But beware, watersports (well jetskis anyway) are very expensive - nearly double what we paid in Stalis.

It's the sort of place you can have a great day out, but make sure you have a big wallet!

Depending where you stay in Stalis, you might be within walking distance of Malia. In August last year the last bus back from Malia was at 0200. That will still probably be too early, as things don't start to get going till about midnight.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
940 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wondering if a few things are still there

Hi there

I remember Volcano bar being there in 2002-2003ish, but not after that, so I think it's gone for good I'm afraid :o( Hopefully you'll find one of Stalis's multitude of other bars will fill the gap it's left behind :o)

The video game arcade opposite Dianomeas - used to be next to King Burger, I think? Yeah, that's gone too, but there is one up near Kaliana and Bar Milia, heading towards Malia.

Re getting to Malia - I'd definitely get the bus there and taxi back.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wondering if a few things are still there

Cheers for the answers.

Shame about the Volcano bar and the Arcade - I wasted about 2 holidays in that thing

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wondering if a few things are still there

The Volcano is still there but now called Rovers Return, same owners Kosta and Susie, and probably hasn't changed much since your last visit ! Kings burger closed about 4 yrs ago and the internet / arcade is further down near the rovers return again same owner. Dianomeas is still there behind rythmn bar and George is back running the place, Some of the same people are still there just moved around abit, Im sure you will see some familiar faces. You can get taxi into Malia for about 10 - 12 euro but its not the same most of the tourists there are max 16 yrs old very young, Star beach is always a good choice too

Edited: 5:59 pm, March 20, 2014
Bolton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Wondering if a few things are still there

oh its great to know costas and susie are still there! x im getting married there next year not been since the recession hit so just had a nosey at this started to bring back memories x

7. Re: Wondering if a few things are still there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 28, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations