We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

Just wondered how far it is from Stalis to Malia old town and Hersonissos - a walkable distance?

If not, info on buses and taxis?

What can we expect to see there?

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
sheffield uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

Buses very regular & also pretty chaep around 1.80 each i think. walking is a fair distance around 9km.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

Thanks - a bus for me I think!

Is there much to see in Malia old town do you know - that is, is it worth the trip?

Just been reading some TA reports re Hersonissos - we are a couple of young at heart 40 somethings (still believe we are in our twenties) - would we be out of place spending an evening there?

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,790 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

It's about 3 km from Stalis to Malia village, and about 6 from Stalis to Hersonnisos. To Malia you can go along the road near the beach then up Malia beach road to the village, so easily do-able, but I think a bus would be best for Hersonnisos.

We have some friends in their 50s who had a few nights out in Malia last year, so go for it! You're as old as you feel (except the morning after!)

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
4. Re: How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:43 pm, July 23, 2017
stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

The old part of Malia is a nice and welcome contrast to the excess and tackiness of the strip.I have visited a couple of times in late september and found it very pleasant.There are several nice tavernas and a few bars.It is not a very big area but nice to wander around and see what the locals are up to.As far as walking is concerned,I have been from Malia to Stalis and back on an evening a couple of times.I found it a nice flat walk,there are shops,tavernas and bars lining the road most of the way so it didnt seem like a particularly long walk but it probably is a round trip of about 6 kilometres.However,I like walking so that doesnt seem far to me.If you wanted to go to Hersonissos,take one of the very regular and modern buses.It will only take about 20 minutes.

The timetable is on

http://www.bus-service-crete-ktel.com

I am 54,visited loads of different islands, am and not a drinker or party person in the slightest but am going back to Malia for the third time in 5 years in late september.The weather should be ok and the strip will be closing down.If and it is a big if,you can ignore the Beach Road tacky bars and fast food restaurants,you can find quite a nice liitle town in there somewhere but I would never ever consider going in mid summer.If you do make it to Malia,try some of the locally grown mini bananas you may see on roadside stalls.They are much nicer than those found in the UK

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

Thanks for all of your responses - which have been very helpful.

Definately a bus to Hersonnisos and more likely a walk to the old town of Malia - just over two weeks to go!

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
sheffield uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

The (km is from Malia to Hersonissos sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
sheffield uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

The 9km is from Malia to Hersonissos sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

Thanks - so I guess that means we could walk to both Hersonissos and the Old town of Malia from Stalis - but not on the same day?!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
10. Re: How far to Malia old town and Hersonissos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:40 pm, July 23, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations