We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

I'm just back from another wonderful few weeks in Paleochora ... this place is just like a drug; I can't stop going back again and again and again .....!

With various forum posts discussing taxi fares and lots of differing advice about fares I thought it would be useful to post the current official taxi fares on here to avoid any further confusion !!!

Note these are the OFFICIAL fares as printed on the boards at the airport taxi stands. Look at the official board BEFORE you speak to a taxi driver. You may be able to negotiate a lower price, but get the driver to agree the price BEFORE you agree to get into the taxi. If he quotes higher than the official price tell him you won't pay more than the official price. Or go to another driver until you find one who gives you the right price. Don't be intimidated by them!

these prices are all one way:

Heraklion Airport - Paleochora €262

Heraklion Airport - Chania €174

Heraklion Airport - Heraklion bus station €10

Chania Airport - Paleochora €110

Chania Airport - Chania bus station €23

Also just to re-iterate about KTel bus fares -

Heraklion bus station - Paleochora €20 per person each way

Chania airport - Chania bus station €2.30 pp each way

Chania bus station - Paleochora €7.60 pp each way

As for car hire - the Paleochora companies are no longer cheap and bear in mind that petrol/diesel is very expensive now. A single journey from Paleochora to Chania airport will cost you at least €15 - 20 for just one way travel plus the cost of your car hire.

Please message me if you require any further advice about either taxi or bus transfers. I am very used to doing the journey between Paleochora and both airports.

Oslo, Norway
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

Hello, thanks for useful information.

We will go to paleochora i Sept. this year - 9 adults and 3 small children travelling as a group!

Do you know if any of the taxi companies have minibuses?

Trond, Norway

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
188 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

Hi Trond!

I will ask about a minibus just bear in mind that the public buses from Chania to Paleochora are a good solution too- again if the children are too young and you need to have many stops, minibus would definitely be better.

If it's your first time in Paleochora I would be happy to help out in case you have questions

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

Hi Trond

Glad to hear you and your large group are going to spend your holidays in Paleochora in September. Not only will you have a wonderful holiday but it will help the local economy a lot too.

As far as I'm aware the Paleochora taxi firm doesn't have a mini bus but possibly the Chania ones do. However have you considered either hiring a minibus and driving yourself or using the local buses which are excellent, cheap and reliable.

There's full information about bus times and costs on this website which may be helpful.

Www.tonmari.com/Directions_to_TonMari.html

There's also information on how to drive from Chania airport to Paleochora on the same page which would be helpful if you're going to hire a minibus and drive yourself.

You could contact the local car hire company in Paleochora as well ... it's

www.notoscar.com

They're very nice and very helpful there. Also thay can arrange to have a car at the airport for you to collect when you arrive. If anyone can help, they can

Let me know how you get on.

Do you have your accommodation booked or do you want/need any pointers?

I have contacts there with good quality accommodation at excellent prices.

Best wishes

Cretaphile

Edited: 2:43 pm, January 18, 2013
Oslo, Norway
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

thank you so much!

We would have liked to take the public buses, but they leave too early! - the latest at 16 as far as I can see.

So I guess we will rent one large + one small car, unless we find a Chania taxi with minibuses.

I checked the Notoscar i Paleochora, their prices seem reasonable, and knowing from you that they are service minded, it seems like a good choice!

We will bring three small children who will love the sand beach, so I have been looking for a place close to that beach. I was told about a place called Poseidon which is almost on the beach. Do you know about that place??

I might get a chance to take a short trip down there in April to check.

all the best,

Trond

Crete, Greece
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

Hi Trond!

I am Nikos from Cretamap(dot)com.

Paleochora is a perfect destination, I have to congratulate you on a great choice!

The village has got everything you need within walking distance which is very important when travelling with small children.

Poseidon Hotel is a fine choice, and is indeed very close to the sandy beach of Pachia Ammos (Thick Sand) as it is called.

You can have a look at our- recently launched- website, choose Paleochora from the select area button and check out Poseidon Hotel as well- in the Norwegian language, if you like!

As we know the area very well and have spent long periods there, feel free to ask me anything you want, even if it is not included at our website.

Wish you the best summer holidays (and fully support a prior visit in April as spring is, in our humble opinion, the best period to visit Crete!)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

Hi Trond

I'm glad you looked at the public bus option as they're such a great way to start your holiday, but as you say the timings aren't always the best for fitting in with flight arrivals. Your decision about the car hire seems a great one. I know that Akis and Olga will help you and ensure that everything runs smoothly for you.

As for accommodation - there are 3 different Poseidon accommodations - their Hotel which is directly on the main beach road; some studios and apartments behind the hotel and some much older studios and apartments in a side street about 150 meters from the main beach road. We've stayed in these older ones once (and that one time was enough for us! they are really quite old now and the road noise is dreadful at night and in the early morning especially).

If you want to be right on the sandy beach the very best place to stay is Europa Studios and Apartments. They are quite new and very nice and are ideal for families with young children as you are literally ON the sandy beach. There's also a small swimming pool there (one of only 3 in Paleochora) and on very windy days when the sand can blow on the beach the pool's handy for children. It's also very handy for little ones needing a sleep etc during the day.

Akis and Olga at Notos car hire have some lovely new studios very close to the beach (again on the main beach road but set-back away from the road noise) and they also have a small swimming pool. They are called Relax Studios (you'll find them on the Notos website as well.

Our favourite is Ton Mari set about 20 meters back from the sandy beach road, with sea views from some of their studios and apartments. they're really lovely and a lovely family. Very good prices too. Their website is

www.tonmari.com

Anyway I hope you find somewhere that you like and I just know you'll love Paleochora. We have so many Scandinavian friends since we've been holidaying regularly in Paleochora for the past 20 years. We can't keep away from the place it's just amazing.

Take care and very best wishes

7. Re: Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:51 am, February 15, 2013
8. Re: Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, February 03, 2014
Edited: 7:23 am, February 03, 2014
9. Re: Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

10. Re: Paleochora - taxi fares to/from Chania & Heraklion airports