We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Share a taxi?

East Bergholt...
Level Contributor
74 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Share a taxi?

Hi there

We (2 adults) are arriving into Chania on 4th September @ 1930hrs (ish). Anyone fancy sharing a taxi to Paleochora that night or the next day, 5th September?

Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Share a taxi?

Hi guys

Just a polite bit of info to say that you need to find a couple to travel with you before you grab the taxi. If the driver suspects for one second that you are two separate couples rather than four people travelling together, he will expect both couples to pay the full fare to Paleohora. That's the way they operate. So, sort out travel pals before getting into the cab, saves an argument when you get to the other end of the ride.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Share a taxi?

They are not alowed to do that, if 4 people share taxi, they pay as 1. It's the same for tour operators that transfer their guest from the airport to their hotel. Each taxi driver knows that the 4 are not a family and he will charge the T.O. for 1 taxi used from A to B. So get in a taxi and say you don't want any tricks to get more money.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Share a taxi?

Whether they aren't allowed to do that or not, they do it for sure. Fact. When a taxi is prebooked as a transfer by a tour operator, it's a totally different scenario from the one that jesseboy is talking about here.

If this isn't the case, then why then advise Jessboy to say to the driver, " no tricks for more money?"

East Bergholt...
Level Contributor
74 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Share a taxi?

Thanks guys for your response and tips. We've done some further research on the possibility of car hire and as we arrive late do you think it would be ok/safe to drive to Paleochora that evening or should we stay in Chania and travel next day? As if that's the case, we might just get the bus on 5th in the morning.

Few further questions:

1. Any recommendations of car hire companies to use -should we arrange one from Paleo to meet us at airport or Chania town next day?

2. Hotel recommendations near bus station in Chania?

3. What time do restaurants close/stop serving dinner if we do arrive late into Paleo?

4. Can you tell we're first timers to Paleo?! Last time in Crete was 1994...

Thanks for help as always.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Share a taxi?

Yep, GB is right, well, based on our experience last september when me and my wife caught a taxi outside Naxos airport.....the driver beckoned two more people over to join us on our journey and charged us both full fare independently....I didn't complian because the journey was only 10 minutes.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Share a taxi?

Hi again

if you arrive in Chania at 1930 in early September, there won't be a great deal of daylight left by the time you've disembarked your flight, gone through entry formalities, and claimed your bags. If this is your first experience of driving in Greece, I'd be inclined to book a room that evening, and then make your way to the south coast in the morning, by which time you'll feel refreshed anyway.

If you decide to bus it, there are just three buses per day ( two on Sundays) at 0515, 1245 and 1600 from Chania to Paleohora, one way fare is currently €7,60 and the ride takes about 90 mins. You could of course save that fare by arranging for a car at Chania airport, but that would mean driving into Chania which is a pretty large town,and it will be dark by then. So, why not take a cab into town from the airport, and then sort out a car in the morning?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Share a taxi?

That's right Miles, I've seen that done on Crete, Rhodes, Kos and other islands, it's common practise. It's no skin off the visitors' noses at the end of it, as they would have paid for a taxi anyway, but it's a nice little earner for the driver. But, if the visitors think they are only going to be charged half the listed fare, they'll be in for a surprise.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Share a taxi?

If you decide to stay the night in Chania, I can recommend the Arkadi Hotel, where I've stayed a number of times. It's clean, comfortable, and efficient: their website is saying 64 euros for a double room, but you might do better with one of the booking websites.

It's a stone's throw from the bus station: couldn't be handier for departure to Paleochora next day.

http://www.arkadi-hotel.gr/

I agree about the taxi drivers. Some try it on, some don't. It isn't worth having an unpleasant argument at the start of your holiday. Anyway, the trip to Paleochora once you leave the north coast is stunning, and it would be a shame to do it in the dark.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Share a taxi?

Hi,

There is also a bus from Chania to Paleochora at 8.30am - I assume it will still be running in early September. We used it a coupke of weeks ago.

There are 2 hotels right next to the bus station, the Samaria and the Omalos. I don't know what they are like but if its only for one night they are very conveniently situated. We plan to stay overnight in one of them when we return to Crete next year.

Kirkwall
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Share a taxi?

Hi,

If you decide to stay in Chania for the night, if you haven't been before, maybe you could consider exploring the town in the morning and getting an afternoon bus if one is available.