We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs in Normandy

Which Sainte-Marie-du-Mont hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Dogs in Normandy

We are going to Normandy at the end of September, is this classed as holiday season? Will we be allowed our dogs on the beaches durting this time? If not are there still cliff top or sea view walks that we can take them on?

16 replies to this topic
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dogs in Normandy

Where on the Normandy coast are you thinking of staying or visiting?

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dogs in Normandy

The map on this website shows the beaches where dogs are allowed in the Manche department of Normandy, which is where I presume you will be staying:

tele-animaux.com/…50.html

Note though that many of them have restrictions such as must be on a lead ('laisse' in French).

There is another website which lists French beaches and their dog policy in a lot more detail (eg times of year/times of day), but for Normandy it lists only the Calvados and Seine-Maritime departments, and not Manche:

http://www.dogstory.net/plage_de_france.htm

Dog restrictions on beaches in France seem to get more stringent every year, but I hope this helps a bit.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dogs in Normandy

The trouble with dogs is that they don't know how to use public toilets and often try and defend their territory where ever they are.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dogs in Normandy

Up to a point that is true cpmac!

But the real trouble with dogs is that somehow, the people that own them, think they do not HAVE to pick up after them...

So to keep the beaches toxocara free so that ones children can play without danger of being blinded, means that dogs must then be banned from the beaches, eh!

Norwich
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dogs in Normandy

Thanks Celestina, that's really helpful. Keith, we will be staying in the Manche area.

To cpmac and Essex Wanderer, you're right, its the owners that are responsible for their dogs and as a responsible owner we do pick up after our dogs and our dogs are very placid and won't be defending anything.

Thanks all

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dogs in Normandy

Dogs are only banned from the beaches and not from cliff top walks or coastal paths.

As long as you use common sense and keep your dog on a lead when people or animals are around and let him run free at other times you'll have no problems.

The ban on dogs using beaches rarely affects the local French population who happily use the beach for their dogs play area whatever the time of day or year.

But us Brits usually abide by the rules - it seems to be in our nature!

When you use a French Vet for the Passport Scheme on your way back to the UK please could you send me the details (address, price charged, telephone number, etc).

I have a list of recommended Vets that I have compiled and if you require any help in finding a Vet I can let you have the List.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dogs in Normandy

Hello MandyLou

being a well trained 'Brit' then it never crossed my mind that you would do anything other than clean up after your dog, and I'm sorry if I gave that impresison.

However, sadly, there are many other people of ALL nationalities, who just do not bother.

The threads on the TA France (and especially the Paris) forums about dog doo are legion.....

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dogs in Normandy

Dogs on the Promanade and on the beach in Le Touquet

http://youtu.be/1LSjuROlaEs

http://youtu.be/G-4G6ebijB4

Edited: 10:54 am, December 04, 2012
Norwich
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dogs in Normandy

Thanks for this

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dogs in Normandy

Hi Mandylou, we are off to Normandy soon with our dog and wondered if you have any tips for dog friendly days out? Thanks

Reply to: Dogs in Normandy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sainte-Marie-du-Mont