We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants for Dinner While Staying in Port-en-Bessin

Which Port-en-Bessin-Huppain hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
710 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants for Dinner While Staying in Port-en-Bessin

Need to choose 6 restaurants. Would like to be able to stay in town and walk to a couple of dinners but our meals are a very important part of our trips and I'm not so sure about the quality of the restaurants/food in town. Would also like to sample some of the scallops that the town is famous for. Not looking for really fancy and expensive every night but the food must be really, really good. So far I have:

La Chenevière in Port-en-Bessin

Chateau de Sully in Bayeux (which of these would you recommend for our anniversary?)

La Rapière in Bayeux

L'Angle Saint Laurent in Bayeux (what about parking in Bayeux?)

Also looking at:

La Chaumière in Longues sur Mer

Le Vauban, La Fleur de Sel and Le Vieux Pecheur in Port-en-Bessin

Le Pommier in Bayeux

Any opinions on these establishments or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

5 replies to this topic
St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants for Dinner While Staying in Port-en-Bessin

La Rapiere is one of my favourites. La Fleur de sel - I have had 3 meals there, two really good and one pretty mediochre, from the mixed reviews I;ve seen it can be a bit hit and miss. Le Vieux Pecheur gets good reviews but having eaten there a couple of times I would give it an average rating.

Le Pommier is certainly good food and a nice setting but it is very touristy. People often believe that this is NOT a tourist trap because there are a lot of French people eating there but those French people are invariably tourists! Parking in Bayeux really isn't a problem. Everywhere in the centre is walkable from the couple of large public car parks.

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
102 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants for Dinner While Staying in Port-en-Bessin

La Chaumière in Longues sur Mer - they do a very acceptable set of menu fixe and the food is nicely done. The problem is finding a day when they are open - they are just round the corner from us when we are there in summer - and you probably best give them a call to check out which days they are open. When we eat there it is always very quiet - no idea how they keep going. I can very much recommend the cider, its from a farm just down the road and we brought several cases back with us.

Le Vauban - have been going to this place for over 25 years. Its very french, good value and very local - in that locals go there alot. Sea Food platter is something else - if you can manage that and a main course, good luck. Usually the fish of the day is really good. Mussels if the time of year is right are fantastic - and again the Cidre Bouche excellent.

Enjoy

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
710 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants for Dinner While Staying in Port-en-Bessin

PLBucks- So good to know about La Chaumière. Will call them. Really happy to read your positive comments on Le Vauban. We don't eat mussels but we love fish and I'm really looking forward to trying some scallops while we're there, not to mention the cider. Thanks a lot.

Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
527 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants for Dinner While Staying in Port-en-Bessin

They will have scallops, but sadly they won't be local - they are only fished off the coast here from November to April. Take a look in the market to see what is being landed that day, and order that instead.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
710 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants for Dinner While Staying in Port-en-Bessin

Hillaire - Am so disappointed. Had heard so much about the town being famous for them. But thanks for the heads up. Great advice to check the market.

Reply to: Restaurants for Dinner While Staying in Port-en-Bessin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port-en-Bessin-Huppain
More Port-en-Bessin-Huppain Topics