We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

Which Santa Elena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

ive been to costa rica on 3 seperate trips....

when i return...im looking for a more adventurous way to travel between arenal and monteverde...

that is to skip traveling around the lake by car to tiliaran.... and take a more direct route...from the south side of the lake by the observatory el castillo area to the northern most point of santa elena cloud forest area....be it by horse or by foot.

i know that many of you will say this is stupid....but i want the adventure...and i want the expertise of those who either live in those areas or have actually trekked that way.

on google earth, i see there is a break in the northern most road of santa elena and el castillo on the south side of the lake..

..but are there less remote paths between those roads for horse or travel by foot??

.....its literally only 2 miles from "rancho margot" in el castillo to a mapped road leading to santa elena cloud forest reserve

rio cano negro basically close to that route into santa elena

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

Rancho Margot offers horseback rides from their ranch to Monteverde

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,656 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

anywherecostarica.com/destinations/arenal/to…

nj
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

hmmm i couldnt find anything on their website about it...but i did find this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGg5VIHABB8

this is what im looking for, can anyone confirm it exists

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

Desafio www.desafiocostarica.com/index.php… they are the best tour operator in the area IMO. I have not done it, but they offer the tour and would be my first choice.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

I have taken the ride about 8 years ago with desafio. they should be able to help you out. Was a great ride.

nj
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

but all of these tours are basically taking a route to tilaran and then driving the regular road via taxi

...im looking for a more direct back trail as i found in youtube....this might be something id have to talk to locals to find

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,656 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

Once you arrive, talk to the staff at your lodging.

You are aware, right, just how long this will take? And that it could be very expensive?

Edited: 10:37 am, December 26, 2013
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

We were just at Rancho Margot a couple of days back. What a neat place. I was sorry we had not booked at least a couple of nights there. Way off the tourist trail of La Fortuna and Arenal. Beautiful place and the horses are very well taken care of. I would call or email them directly and tell them what you want to do. They were the nicest people we have encountered on our 10 days in CR this trip so far.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,088 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

Yes it is a horse transfer and was maybe one of the first ways to get from Arenal to Monteverde...you do not know need any middle company to book the transfer...avoid middle people that only are looking to make a huge commission from you...deal with travel services prodiers...support local small travel companies...some huge travel companies they just subcontract all the services...they may be reputable ...but they charge a lot for every booking!

roadadvisor

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: horse trails from arenal lake to monteverde??

I did this horse trip in 2001. I was traveling by bus in CR and wanted a more efficient route from Arenal to Santa Elena. It took one full day and it was amazing... at the summit of the pass we were in the clouds and saw the nest of the Oropendula, which are very unusual. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montezuma_Oropendola

I can't remember which guides we used but I would suggest taking time to research, to make sure they take good care of the horses.